Hey Jack/ Bandit 30 sponsons?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

Hi Jack :D

I just scored a Bandit 30 in CF, was wonderin about any sponson blueprinting or setup suggestions for this hull?

Gene ;D

Hey Slide,

Until Jack responds, GTR started a post on the second page called "Bandit-Killer" check it out, it's some reading material for know.

Thanks Big D. :D

Just read it, Must have missed that one, Guess my question is now,

Is there anything else specific to the 30" Bandit rigged for mod 3.5 over what has all ready been said?

Gene ;D

Gene,

First of all, as always, make sure that the riding surfaces are flat and parallel to each other. Secondly, sharpen corners of course( inside sponson, back edge of sponson). Take a fine sharp file to the step and remove any radius leaving a sharp edge. The rounded part should be sanded at a 45 degree angle x at least 1/4 " wide. If you are using it in the stock class, set the engine at a nagative angle of from 1 1/2 to 2 degrees. For mod, set at zero degrees. As I mentioned before, dont paint the blue printed area of the sponsons.

Good luck to ya, and as Jay Selby sez "GO OB"

Hey Jack,

What sort of differences are you likely to see before / after the blueprinting? Are the sharp edges really that critical to performance?

Tim.

Tim,

Well, If you are planning to just run the boat to have fun (AKA sunday flying), blue printing of course is not a necessity. However, if you are planning to compete in your Districts heat races with it, blueprinting will up your speed, not to mention that the hull will run smoother and corner better. Not that it's a dud otherwise, it simply enhances the performance.

Thanks Jack,

No park flying for me - just racing!

I've been too lazy to do the blueprinting in the past ;D ;D something I'll have to look into!

Tim.

Jack or Jerry D,

Can you please explain the theory or the advantage of sanding the butt end of the tunnel of all the paint?? Also some guys said they are applying "pledge" or other sprayable waxes or polishes to the bottom to break the static of the water for more speed. Any truth to that??

Re: "sanding butt end of sponson....."

Personally, I think the most important aspects of tunnel sponsons is that both sponsons touch a flat surface evenly when the back of the boat is pressed down and that all edges coming in contact with the water are sharp.

I have sanded the back of sponsons to true or "blue print" the sponson bottoms as Jack mentioned. I always thought "static cling" was something to be avoided when drying my clothes.

I think applying Lemon Pledge to the bottom of your hull would greatly enhance the smell, but not so sure about improved performance.

Jerry D.

I dont know if it would make any difference in our sport, but I do know that proffesional jet ski racers rough the bottoms of there hulls with sandpaper before running. when asked why they all said to create a sort of cavitation of the bottom, to air it out a little. if left completely smooth like the gelcoat it would create a vacuum effect by holding it to the water. Im sure there is a fine line to how rough or smooth to make it, because of course you need some "bite" for turning.........~ james

To add to that, I sell snowboards, and all of the most expensive racing boards have very shallow grooves cut into the bottom of the boards to prevent the vaccuum effect that James mentioned.

I agree with Jerry, Static Cling does make my clothes smell nicer. I wasn't aware of any static in water.

seriously, with opologies to who ever said it, no it does not help speed or performance. Sanding the entire sponson transom won't help but sharpening the back edge of the running surface will allow the water to break off cleanly. Water tends to cling to a round edge causing a degree of drag. Some (very few) boaters believe that rough running surfaces are better for speed than smooooth surfaces. Theory there is that the roughness causes tiny bubbles. So in essence the sponsons are riding on tiny bubbles. Personally, I am happy with the speed of my boats. If I wasn't, I would go to with the rough surface.

My two bits.

Back