Help with Circus-Circus build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foolwitools

Hi Guys!

I bought a partially built Circus-Circus. Didn't get directions with it. Anyone have a copy of the plans or instructions? I'll buy them from you or copy them and send them back.

Also missing most of the cowl and covers. any idea how I can reproduce them?

Any help will be much appreciated!!

Even some good close pics will help a lot............

Thanks, Bob the Fool :blink:

Hi Bob,

You can get all that stuff from Dumas. Their pretty helpful, I had the same type thing happen and they set me right up.

Paul.

Hey Bob,

Don't rely on them e-mailing you back as they are very slowwwwwwwwww on answering, call them it's quicker.

Biil D.

Bob, i still have all the construction photos for the website (that needs updating badly) i could zip them up and send them to you... 44.9 Meg .zip file... lol

I also have plenty of PPG Pitthane Ultra paint if you're intrerested...

Shnick :D

Shnick,

I would be very interested in any photos of the cover cowls and the turbine tube.

All I have is a hull with not much else above the deck sheeting..........

Thanks, Bob the Fool :blink:

Hi Guys!

Well........... still trying to decide if it's wort the effort.

First, I think it's a pre-turbine design ( did they make one?)

The wood built cowlings look like it's more of a front cocpit, piston powered boat.

I got a turbine the cowl from Dumas. Looks like it could be fit on the hull without too much difficulty.

Also got current style plans and instructions. The wing is built differently, the fuel tank area is too..... sponson bottoms are a different design....... small variances throughout. I'm still compairing plans to what I have. The pics you sent helped a lot.

Another problem ......... It looks like someone who knew what they were doing started to build it, then someone without a clue tried to finish it. I think i can update the design issues and correct the flaws........... but I'm worried about the integrity of the work thats been done in areas I can't see. maybe it would be good experiance for me to try. I've never built a wood hydro. nearest thing to it that I've built is a dumas SK........ But I do have a background in cabinet making, so I'm confident I can do what need to be done.

I will try posting a few pics of what I have to start with later ( if I can figure out how), and I'd appreciate any comments.

Do you think a K&B .82 is too much for this hull? I have a new one to put in it. I also have a .67, but it needs work.

Thanks for your help and interest,

Bob the Fool :blink:

Hey Bob I'm no expert but i think what you have there is a dumas "Atlas" Hull. Sure dont look like any circus hull i have ever seen.

Harry G

it is a circus circus but the person you got it from seemed like they were modifing the cowl and top area. I know cause i'm in the process of finishing the same hull. i also have the plans for this boat that shows how to build the rear cover and other details.

Shnick what happened to your site is it up? and what did you use for the pinstrips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Bob,

Yep, you've got a Dumas Atlas there. I built a boat from the Dumas kit this year but changed quite a few things along the way. I didn't use any of the kits wood but I did use parts as templates. Notice the changed sponsons and transom cut-out.

atlasd1.jpg

atlasf9.jpg

Paul.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the info..........

I think I've decided that this will be an experimental boat....... by that I mean I'm gonna finish it off "as is". Just for a first hydo learning experiance. I had hoped to end up with a respectable scale hydro, but I guess it's gonna end up a "beater boat".

Even so, I;m sure I'll have to have a lot of guidance and you guys will have to answer a lot of beginner questions.

I don't plan on starting soon, too many household chores that have piled up while I've had a busy ( with work) season........

More when I get into it

Hi Guys!

I found some info and pictures of the real '82 Atlas Van Lines (www.Thunderboats.org). This has renewed my interest in this project.

Lots of good pics of older hydros. Didn,t know there was a U-Hydro Museum.

Paul P. Hey! we're neighbors!! You are one of 2 boaters I know of within 30 miles of me ( I'm in elgin). Got lots of friends in and around Antioch. spent some time at the Limeric Lounge and many summer thursdays on the Chain at Blarney Island watching the drag boat races. Anyhow.............

C'ya

Latest posts

Back