Heat Racing vs. Saw " Riggers "

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW I may have to visit the SAW trials next year just to watch the big boys run their toys. Question, wont most .21 riggers hit the 50 mark easily? and the .45 boats wont they get there as well, even in heat trim? Not ever having a radar gun on my boats its easy to say yup its in the 50's when in reality it may only be in the 40's.

Roy

Yes Roy a .21 should do 70mph in heat trim, I will be luck if I can get 65mph. A .45 should do 70mph+ in heat trim. I wanna do 50mph with my .12 rigger in heat trim, I also hope to see the .12 hydro record challenged and broke (the record is around 78mph) I hope to see 80mph out of a .12 rigger.

Paul

The IMPBA 2-lap .21 record is an amazing 18.8 sec. set by John Brown. I think the boat was a 12 size, with a .21 MAC stuffed in it!! I would say that it was running close to 80 mph in the strights.

The NAMBA record is 20.2 set by Mark Grim in Vince Henderson's heat race hull. That 1.4 sec. may not seem like much, but like Don Ferrette said, in 2-lap racing a sec. is an eternity!!!!!

Big Roy & Paul, BE CAREFUL 2-LAP & SAW CAN GET IN YOUR BLOOD :p

Don :)

Don,

i was talking to John about it not to long ago, it was he's 21 heat race boat,

he said it was radered at around 79.8mph in the straights.

i'm with you guy's 1sec is alot to find....

regards Aaron

Below is a picture of Mark Grim's 110 mph 3.5 hydro. This boat is officially 15 mph faster than any other 3.5 SAW rigger.
Lohring Miller
Don't forget Mike Nowicki 103+ MPH and if I remmember correct Steve O'Donnell ran 107 MPH he might not have a SAW record but he was officialy timed.

The IMPBA 2-lap .21 record is an amazing 18.8 sec. set by John Brown. I think the boat was a 12 size, with a .21 MAC stuffed in it!! I would say that it was running close to 80 mph in the strights.The NAMBA record is 20.2 set by Mark Grim in Vince Henderson's heat race hull. That 1.4 sec. may not seem like much, but like Don Ferrette said, in 2-lap racing a sec. is an eternity!!!!!

Big Roy & Paul, BE CAREFUL 2-LAP & SAW CAN GET IN YOUR BLOOD :p

In your blood and in your WALLET!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Mark's 110 mph was a two way average, not a one way pass. I watched the Steve O'Donnel-Mark Grim battle, and both were impressive. There are lots of fast boats one way or with radar and GPS readings. However, no one else is close when it comes to official records, which require back to back passes in opposite directions. Mark's boat was the first 3.5 hydro that I know of over 100 mph and has been that fast consistently for several years.

Lohring Miller

normal_12%20Hydro.jpg
Notice the turn fin and rear sponson.
And the point is???? :huh:

The point is that you might consider leaving a rear sponson. And you might need a turn fin at the end fo the run. At least I did and it has not slowed me down.

normal_12%20Hydro.jpg

The point is that you might consider leaving a rear sponson. And you might need a turn fin at the end fo the run. At least I did and it has not slowed me down.
Preston, point taken. But anything extra in the water is drag, & that will slow you down!! If you need a turnfin you are going very fast on a small pond, or very,very fast on a big pond :lol: We here on the west coast run a sponson on most SAW boats also, but no turnfin. ;)

Don,i was talking to John about it not to long ago, it was he's 21 heat race boat,

he said it was radered at around 79.8mph in the straights.

i'm with you guy's 1sec is alot to find....

regards Aaron
That's corect Aaron! John's record boat was also his race boat that has won many races.

Only difference was the length of the pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
normal_12%20Hydro.jpg

Preston, point taken. But anything extra in the water is drag, & that will slow you down!! If you need a turnfin you are going very fast on a small pond, or very,very fast on a big pond :lol: We here on the west coast run a sponson on most SAW boats also, but no turnfin. ;)

I needed a turn fin because the boat was very particular about turning. When somebody gets my record I'll just remove the turn fin and take the record back. :lol: The rear sponson really is not drag. Or at least it should not be because when on plain it should be just above the water.

Preston,

We may put that record out of reach this weekend with or without a turnfin. :D

Next year for sure we will up it significantly, I believe. I received a boat capable

just a little late this year, but over the winter we will focus on that task. Get the

boat out of mothballs and see what you can do without the turnfin.

Just Having Fun With Ya,

Mark Sholund

Preston,
We may put that record out of reach this weekend with or without a turnfin. :D

Next year for sure we will up it significantly, I believe. I received a boat capable

just a little late this year, but over the winter we will focus on that task. Get the

boat out of mothballs and see what you can do without the turnfin.

Just Having Fun With Ya,

Mark Sholund
I heard that "out of reach" line 25 yreas ago! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back