Heat Racing vs. Saw " Riggers "

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
Hi All,

I am considering going to the Record Trials in Flint next month, I was told you can get patches for 50mph+ . My goal is to bring my .12 and my .21 rigger and see if I can get a patch for them. I figure I can get a 50mph for my .12 and a 60mph for my .21 (this will be in heat trim). Now the question stands what can I do to these boats to make them faster? I see alot of the riggers in SAW run a complete different type of sponson, why ( and how are they different ). By removing the rears will this help in speed? I can also run alot less fuel for weight issues correct?

Thank You,

Paul

Removing the rears will take away a lot of drag. I have seen SAW boats running one center sponson on the rear.

Hi All,
I am considering going to the Record Trials in Flint next month, I was told you can get patches for 50mph+ . My goal is to bring my .12 and my .21 rigger and see if I can get a patch for them. I figure I can get a 50mph for my .12 and a 60mph for my .21 (this will be in heat trim). Now the question stands what can I do to these boats to make them faster? I see alot of the riggers in SAW run a complete different type of sponson, why ( and how are they different ). By removing the rears will this help in speed? I can also run alot less fuel for weight issues correct?

Thank You,

Paul

Just to mention a few:

-Shorten pipe

-bigger prop

-smaller turnfin

-smaller rudder

-just enough fuel for 3 passes

-small receiver pack

-remove unneeded things from boat

lots of reasons to make saw boats

more aerodynamic

less drag

more aoa

less weight

making your heat boats faster for saw...

raise the aoa

remove the rears

smaller/thinner turn fin/rudder

loose whatever weight you can

V9XX props

some ideas....

come on paul... make a dedicated .12 saw boat..... take ya weekend....

Last edited:
Here's an idea for an "A" rigger from Mike Nowicki:

normal_100-0018_IMG.JPG

Tuning a heat race boat for SAWs:

-Knife blade rudder

-Very small turn fin or remove completely.

-Stuff a .21 in your .12 boat!!!

If it's an FE boat, swap the motor out for one with 30-50% more RPM and put in the biggest ESC that you can afford/fit in the boat.

dont use a turnfin at all,short pipe,bigger prop,high nitro and I think I would leave the rear sponsons on to help leave the beach with a big prop.use a hot plug and pull the wire.all these things will help

Paul,

You need the following: A.) Mike Nowicki S.A.W. boat,B.)A VERY STRONG MOTOR,C.)Scott Bouchie Pipe,

D.)Some 70% Nitro Fuel, And most important E.)A Lot of time to test different settings on your boat.

These are very different boats from Heat Racing boats, but once you see a 90 MPH to 100 MPH boat you

are hooked. Paul, I will tell you what Terry Keeley says at every event in Flint,Mi " It Ain't As Easy

As It Looks". This is the truth from the man that runs the events for us every year.

See You In Flint,

Mark Sholund

Stuff a .21 in your .12 boat!!!
That's the best advice. You can try all that other stuff but if it were that easy everybody would do it. You should play with setup more than anything.

Thank You for all the info guys. My main objective is not setting records, its seeing what my heat race boats can do with very limited changes to its heat race setup. plugs props and pipes are all within reason, I'm not running a full out SAW boat. I will really enjoy watching the full out SAW boats run though. I look forward to meeting all the people who frequent the Record Trials :)

Paul

I use and MC9 plug with 60% fuel. I have some 70% I will try any plug recommendations, and can the plugs be gotten?

Paul,

I'll be there too. I wouldn't miss it on a bet. You'll see some fast boats and meet some really fine people there. I'll be there both days and praying for good weather for a brand new boat this year.

Yup, Terry's right, "It ain't easy" And anyone who thinks it's easy, take the turn fin off of your 45 rigger and give it a try.But make sure you have room to shut it down because it's NOT going to make that turn you're so used to at the end of the straight. You'll have a new found respect for the people who do it.

I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard the 1st time I ran my 45 hydro. I thought my arms were going to fall off from paddling the kayak out so.... many times to get the dang boat. But, they're right, you do get hooked.

See ya there!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My bantam .12 rigger showed back up after a long lost trip to ausi land, so i started stuffing a MAC 21 in it for SAW runs, I was wondering what the common props for a light 21 saw rigger are?

BB,

Octura 2047,2050,2142/3,1950,V-947/3

ABC 1816/3,2016/3,1818

These all need some work to them, but they all can go pretty fast

if you have a: short enough pipe length,good boat set up and some

nads to pull the trigger. :D

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
would a V940 S/B be good enough for testing? and whats "short enough" for pipe length?? :)

BB,

That may be a little small, try the V-947/3. Pipe depends on your set up,we run 6.75" to 7.50"

in most of our boats. Call me if you need more specific answers.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

231-590-3023

Back