hawk 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tom,

Where did you get the Hobbypoxy paint? Are they still available?

I also notice your tub bottom ply runs cross grain. Is it stronger this way?

Thanks,

Kez

hobby poxy..... i cant find any more..... switched to automotive myself.... you might check out http://klasskote.com/ never tried it myself

cross grain ply on the tub top and bottom..... it provides better resistance to twisting the tub according to gary preusse.... looks cool too..... single continous sheets top and bottom.

well.... how about we split the shipping..... like $155 with shipping. are you in a hurry? It might take a while to find a suitable box so I wont have to worry about shipping damage. I assume your in the usa? I will most likely have to remove the front sponsons for shipping.

if this is acceptable.... i will let you know when it is boxed and ready, then you can get me the money (paypal prefered).

let me know

tom

lone star balsa! great wood!

here is the low down..... to get sross grain you need to order 4 12X48 sheets and ask for them to cut it cross grain.

another tip...... 1/32 to thin 1/16 to heavy? Lone star can sand down 1/16 to a different thickness like .050

Man.... why do i keep giving all my serects away :blink:

tom, I'm not in too much of a hurry. i'm just setting up my classes for next year. I am in the USA, Brooklyn NY. I plan to run A hydro, B hydro, sport 21 and Sport 40 I have all the boats for these classes except A hydro. I do not have a paypal account so I'll be sending a money order, hope that's OK. do what you have to do and keep me posted ok.

money order is fine

Tom Moorehouse

601 Beach Ave.

LaGrange Park IL 60526

send it when your ready..... I should be able to find a box by the time it gets here.

Buoyhunter said:
Wow Tom I really like the crossgrain look to the wood on that boat,nice.
thanks.... ive been building all my riggers that way now. It is also easier to build it that way. The FireFighter boat kits all come that way...... it was a requirement of mine that it be cross grain in my kits.

Do the cross grain also to the hatch, I did not when I first built my Hawks, hatchs' looked like bananas after a while. Live & learn. ;)

boaterbill said:
Do the cross grain also to the hatch, I did not when I first built my Hawks, hatchs' looked like bananas after a while. Live & learn. ;)
huh? not sure i understand? you could just add a couple sticks to the bottom to keep them straight if it bugs you..... if i understand right?

yes they are

Tom,

I put the support sticks on the bottom, the grain on the wood as it comes in the kit runs paralell to the tub, front to back, still bowed on me. I told Gary, he told me to build another one with the grain running across the tub, like the bottom. I built another one, with the grain running crossways, it makes sense.

Bill

firefighter kits are all cross grain so it should not be a problem.... but thanks for pointing it out :D

Mine was a Dumas. Gary has made bunch of suggestions to Dumas on changes, but to no avail. Gary will ship sheet with changes with the kits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back