hawk 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lay26

Supporting Member
i'm looking for a 20 hydro and i was wondering if the hawk 21 would be able to handle roadrunners and the rest of riggers racing today. what would make it run like a bat out of hell. meaning are there any changes to the hull that makes it more competitive?

Gary Preusse is always winning races with them. His are not exactly built like the kit. I have one that I built with Gary's guidance (a little)..... used only 1 season that I could sell ya. its working great.

how much are you asking and what does it have? is it built already?any hardware, what was the best performing prop? didn't you have a firefighter 21?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary has the kits on sale, if you're interested in building one. He will gladly tell you what needs to be changed, if I remember he sends a seperate page in what to change, which is not much. Gary 630-279-2451.

He runs his with Octura 1450 so do I with great results.

Fuel, Red Max 60% nitro, 20% oil (10% castor, 10% Syn), add 10 drops Midas touch per gl. Head clearance 8. Garagthy carbs. ;)

yes.... i now run the FireFighter .21. this is not to say anything bad about the Hawk.... I just like to run my own designs.

My hawk for sale is pretty much a bare hull. it is completed, has the rudder, turn fin, cant remember if I still have the servos in it. Almost none of the dumas wood was used in the boat. The tub is designed for the octura 3-30 mount and a powersurge tank. 3.5" wide tub. It is light and built well. The sponsons could use a better coat of paint but would be fine if you are not a perfectionist.

tom did you build the center section smaller as gary recomends? are the fire fighter 21 ready? and how much would you sell the hawk for?

The only real thing different to the shape of my hawk is that the tub is skinnier for the 3-30 mount.

the FireFighter .21's are not ready yet.... hopefully soon.

i guess i would sell it for $150 want pics?

more info on my hawk:

upgraded sponson tubes.... not stock

lightened clamps

carbon fiber spar from gary p

only dumas wood in the boat are the top sponson blocks 1/4" plywood

rears are WOF stock shape

tub is 1/8 light ply with reinforcements

tub top 1/32 bottom 1/16 ply

eagle sg turn fin.... I always got razzed for that but it works great for me.

hobby poxy paint. tub/clear is great. sponsons are not as good but they can hold up if you want.

boat is setup for a MAC engine NR should be fine

Radio box lid and engine bay lid have seen batter days but that is real minor

setup for a powersurge fuel tank

needs the marine specilities strut.

brass on brass flex shaft setup

rudder servo is a hitec hs225

throttle servo is removed

speedmaster rudder

G&M seals

it is a hawk..... but other than the 2 sponson blocks that is all you will see on the boat from the kit.... everything else is optimized for weight/performance

what you see is what you would get..... let me know if you want specific pictures or have questions.

tom

hey Tom what do you mean by,"sponsons are not as good but they can hold up if you want".

would you say that this boat can hold up to a 10 race season? what about the bottom of the boat, could you send me some pics of that.

i noticed that you have weights on the sponson tips, are they needed? does the boat run good? what about the engine lid, i would have to replace that. you said you had a mac 21 what prop and pipe length worked best. how come the rear sponsons have different shapes? seems to me that the boat is not in bad shape, $150 sounds fair is S&H included in the price or not.let me have your address.

Lay26 said:
hey Tom what do you mean by,"sponsons are not as good but they can hold up if you want". would you say that this boat can hold up to a 10 race season? what about the bottom of the boat, could you send me some pics of that.

i noticed that you have weights on the sponson tips, are they needed? does the boat run good? what about the engine lid, i would have to replace that. you said you had a mac 21 what prop and pipe length worked best. how come the rear sponsons have different shapes? seems to me that the boat is not in bad shape, $150 sounds fair is S&H included in the price or not.let me have your address.
hold up if you want.... refering to the paint. i am not the best painter. I think the blue was too light of a coat possibly. some wood grain can be seen through the paint. it is entirely painted with hobby poxy so it will withstand nitro abuse fine. did a real good on the tub, one of my best jobs there.

The boat was running a little to light for my taste hance the weight... adding another shim under the rear boom would be a better solution i would think..... i never got that far with the setup.

different shape rears..... welcome to hawk design 101. the boat is totally stock hawk shape other than the tub being narrower.

i cant remember the pipe length??? sold the engine already. A Nova Rossi would likely be better in this boat.

more pics:

Latest posts

Back