Harvey's White Heat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What date was the The Mule single channel it was my dads first radio in a

dumas sk-60 with a supertiger 65.

Turn right is all he had.Rc boat hobby has come a long way but still way behind whats being done in planes cars heli an drones.

Mike, my single channel radio predates the galloping ghost by a number of years. I found the manual for my single channel radio. Catch this it was copyrighted in 1953. Bought mine in 1960. Radio installed in a 27" cabin cruiser that I still have. Now that is really vintage! The galloping Ghost was super compared to my radio, even though the galloping ghost gave you a nervous breakdown watching the control surfaces twitch.
Great history Harv , you are a pioneer for sure !!

here's a picture my son found, I think it is from about 1960 taken in Aurora,IL., 2nd from left Herold McGowan, Father Zimmerman, don't know who other 2 are

John R

Scan0001.jpg

I have also had escapement and galloping ghost radios in planes.

My first boat was also a white heat with an O&R motor and strutter and 2 channel OS radio.

It was built by someone else and was done in white and red hobbypoxy. It was a beautiful boat and I ran it quite a bit. I think I paid 100 bucks for it with the radio. I wish I still had it.

Golden breed era....thanks for sharing ...I would love to see & hear some of these screamers in action! Gill

The two boats in the center are White Heat 5's. Boat on the right is a White Heat 10. The only difference was the cowl. The 5 was earlier, and was in the 1963 Popular Mechanics article. Boat on the left I believe is a White Heat 4-60. I may be wrong on the model designation, but it was a 3 point hydro, same length and drive system as the 5 and 10, but had dropped sponsons.

The two boats in the center are White Heat 5's. Boat on the right is a White Heat 10. The only difference was the cowl. The 5 was earlier, and was in the 1963 Popular Mechanics article. Boat on the left I believe is a White Heat 4-60. I may be wrong on the model designation, but it was a 3 point hydro, same length and drive system as the 5 and 10, but had dropped sponsons.
Click on page arrow. Go to page 124. White Heat, classic stuff. https://books.google.com/books?id=mtwDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=Popular+Mechanics+R/c+Boats&source=bl&ots=UDWLB78ZIq&sig=W8xh3Ddj44JIeaIr7rv_HrqRyIY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ydkWVYWIC8XfsATbmYL4Cg&ved=0CD8Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=Popular%20Mechanics%20R%2Fc%20Boats&f=false

Harvey I don't think the one on the left is a 4-60, I think it is to big to be a 60 size, I think it is a 4-10 witch was the 3 point X, it's the one I have the fiberglass mold for

John R.

Last edited by a moderator:
John, I think you are correct on the nomenclature. One of the Knoxville Gang bought the larger version with the O&R engine on E-Bay. Engine was frozen, but the hull was in pretty good shape for it's age. Boat has a fiberglass cowl . The front of the cowl is higher than the X because the engine sits higher, no step to hide the large diameter flywheel and fan. Exhaust was interesting. Someone had carefully pieced and brazed two manifolds together, with outlets 180 degrees apart. There was a megaphone exhaust on each outlet. The sound must have been deafening. My White Heat has a single megaphone exhaust which will blow your ears off.

Latest posts

Back