Hardware reccomendations for Spec class EV

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Hi all,

Spring is here and we have found a few new folks in the local nitro club that want to run electric and also want to attract new folks to the electric crowd. We are putting a spec class together similar to the one's being run in the midwest.

With this in mind we need a cost effective hardwarwe set fo rthese boats to get them into an affordable range of price. I seek reccomendations for hardware sets for these hulls. We are looking at Ken Joye's stuff as it seems to be quite nice and *very* reasonably priced.

Anyhow, somehow I got appointed the job as the 'electric director' in our local club here so I am the dude whom has to put the rules for our club spec class as well as other duties.

Anyway, I have rambled enough. Thanks in advance.

Mike N

Honestly the only way to beat kens stuff would be buld it yourself I think Ken's in your situation is your best bet. I just got some put on my fdm32

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. Yea I have come to the same conclusion regarding the hardware from Ken.

While on the subject, I also need a prop reccomnedation for these hulls. Prefer something newbie freindly like the pre sharpened and balanced SS props.

Cheers,

Mike N

Spec class racing usually doesn't go over too well in the long run. Usually it favors one Company which isn't fair to others. A Florida club tried it with Gas boats using Warehouse Hobbies boats. Tony Castronovo of course liked it. The car racers tried it without a lot of success. Your best bet is to go to a Crackerbox or similar class where other manufacturers can get in on the act. Limit motors, props, battery packs and ESC's. It is usually done on a cost factor that limits the performance. Unmatched cells of so many Mah and Roar stock motors help. If you want to do it on a club level only, then maybe you could put in a group order to lower the costs and level the field.

Well an e-vee with kens hardware and a ss1 would be a real nice setup. maybe Ken could chine in on the prop thats the setup he runs on his sons e vee for some reason i want to say a 642 for offshore but i could be wrong.

Spec class racing usually doesn't go over too well in the long run.
We're going to prove you wrong in the Midwest and LSH is proving you wrong on a national level. LSH, in just its first full season was among the most popular classes at every event last year

We're running 3 spec events at two regional races and are campaigning to get a third regional to run them. (Batavia is the event and they already run variations, we'd just like to bring it all together.)

While on the subject, I also need a prop reccomnedation for these hulls. Prefer something newbie freindly like the pre sharpened and balanced SS props.
We run ABC 42/55's. We've tried 45/55's also but don't see a huge difference between the two.

I haven't tried them on this boat, but if you want to be really cost effect, go with a Graupner carbon fibre prop. 45 mm ought to work pretty good.

Great idea on the prop Doug. Didn't even think about the Graupners! ;) There was somebody a while ago that was selling the Graupner props. Who was it?

Cheers,

Mike N

Sadly Hobby Lobby does not have the 45 MM props. The only thinng they list for 3/15 Drive Dog is 42 MM with a 1.2 pitch. :'(

Let's see.........how about www.ripmax.com? $1.20 ea.

OOPS! That's in pounds sterling. Sorry. I'm gonna go back to my nitro forum now.................. :-[

Wow i'm honored your considering `MACH 5' Offshore hardware for your club spec class! The MACH 5 thru-mount inline strut system is light and robust for competition and will work very well on El Vees. each kit comes with installation instructions and diagram. My sons El Vee is setup with heavier early MACH 5 inline design but still runs great. (everything is positioned in the same place on my production hardware). I'd use a plastic x442 type prop from Graupner or Climate(DPI) to keep costs down and let these guys get used to their new setups. For competition i use a x642 aluminum prop with the SS1 for 4min enduros and a x645 for sprints. You will also need tabs and fins for El Vees,will be talking!

Spec class racing usually doesn't go over too well in the long run.
We're going to prove you wrong in the Midwest and LSH is proving you wrong on a national level. LSH, in just its first full season was among the most popular classes at every event last year

We're running 3 spec events at two regional races and are campaigning to get a third regional to run them. (Batavia is the event and they already run variations, we'd just like to bring it all together.)
I have to agree with Doug, I think that Spec classes are the way to go, I was just reading this morning in another forum about the cost of brushless blown up controllers etc, and the first thing that came to mind was spec classes, Dougs been pioneering more classes and I feel it is the way to go, I also agree with the hardware selection, Mach 5 stuff looks excellent, and I make hardware myself, but couldn't do it at that price, and plus it's not for profit, a big bennie, I run a 642 on my evee and it runs well,,, good luck on the new venture bud,,, cheers eddie

Great idea on the prop Doug. Didn't even think about the Graupners! ;) There was somebody a while ago that was selling the Graupner props. Who was it?
Allan Shillito of AsTec can get them and even though he's located in the UK, shipping is relatively reasonable. (Less than some of our domestic vendors.)

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/about.htm

He's also provides us with Gundert silicone water cooling jackets and any other Graupner goodies that Hobby Lobby doesn't stock. One of the nice things about spec racing, you can order collectively as a group and get a better deal.

Last year we ordered cases of hatch sealing hockey tape, 20 SS1's, about 20 silicone coolers, a bunch of Graupner props, etc., etc.

I'm really suprised that FE vendors haven't jumped on the spec bandwagon and that they continually promote high end brushless setups. Maybe the margins are there, but promoting spec racing would seem to give a vendor one huge plus that I would think is important to any business: inventory control.

But hey, what do I know? ;D ;D

Mike to keep costs down here is my rec

a rudder from anywhere and a stuff tube/strut which is an extension of the stuffing tube with tw 3/16" teflon bushings. This replaces a $40 strut with a $5 option.

Gemnerally thestrut is un flat so an adjsutable strut is largely redundant. I use it on 6 -16 cell hulls and find they are as fast as with and adjustable strut

keep matched cells out.

For motors I prefer the graupner 700BB8.4 to the SS1. the 700 is universally available and will run up to 16 cells and give good runtimes and it is cheaper. In a 4 or 5 minute event the difference between it and the SS1 are marginal.

add cells and you have a second faster class for the cost

of the cells and a prop change

a major area of cost is the esc specify a 60 amp controller and keep costs down

my two cents

Andrew

fastelectrics.com

EDDIE H. thanks for the nice words. I've seen your stuff, top notch.

A `Spec El Vee' class will be won by the by the best hardware setup if just motor and cells are spec'd. This has been proven in Batavia's spec class time and again. Thats why i feel you need spec'd hardware also. The inline European derived long struts have proved superior in Offshore (R&L turn) competition all over the world so why not fit the hulls with the latest.

Oh,I do agree with Andrews point 8.4V 700BB's should do the job but remember the SS1's are more effective in LSH(spec class). They could share the motor and get into 2 spec classes.

I would suggest and recommend the standard 8.4v 700 motor as Andrew opined.

Our club - EMYC in Minnesota specced the El Vee for our off shore class but left the hardware open and the motor restricted to the 8.4v BB.

The reasoning is so that no one manufacturer has a corner on equipment supply. Does everyone remember the 700 Neo? Now what are we using - 700 SS1? What will the 700 du jour be next year?

Same with hardware. Our club has at least 10 EV's running with at least 5 different hardware setups from Fuller, Tom Balmes, Octura, and several have made there own from scratch. On any given day it can be any of those setups that are fastest.

I would absolutely stay away from spec'ing the hardware.

Dan

I would suggest and recommend the standard 8.4v 700 motor as Andrew opined.

I would absolutely stay away from spec'ing the hardware.

Dan
I absolutely concur. You will not see any noticeable difference either visually or in the thrill factor between running these boats with an SS1 or 8.4v. (Unless the two motors are run side by side.

Ken's point about swapping motors is semi-valid. However, this class is our entry-level class and intended as a stepping off point into the hobby. Once they're hooked, they'll sell the family dog to acquire a second boat and therefore cost of a second motor for another class becomes less of an issue. ;D ;D ;D

The class run under the specs pioneered by the MN bunch will be the most fun you can have at the pond with your pants on.

I too have to agree the hardware is not going to be part of the spec. I chose to look at Ken's due to it's simple and cost effective design. As for the motor I am undecided yet on whether to spec it as the 8.4 or just open it to the same set of motors spec'ed in LSH.

Cheers,

Mike N

Latest posts

Back