Grand Prix Classic

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Now!

Don't shoot the messenger, your buddies put me up to it.

I may have added a few creative touches :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Any results?
Quick update of winners......more details and photos later.

A Mod: Troy Davis.............Leecraft

B Mod: Rudy Formanek.....Leecraft

Sport 40-2: Al Waters......Muck

Scale: Dave Hilton............Velasco?

Multi-engine Outrigger: Mike Hughes....SGX

Any results?
Quick update of winners......more details and photos later.

A Mod: Troy Davis.............Leecraft

B Mod: Rudy Formanek.....Leecraft

Sport 40-2: Al Waters......Muck

Scale: Dave Hilton............Velasco?

Multi-engine Outrigger: Mike Hughes....SGX
B) Bravo to Mike Hughes Wow!! Good job amaze Repaired tub hull ;)

Okay, Alfred & I are just back from the race (no we weren't there cleaning up til 9, we went out to dinner with a few boaters afterwards!).

Here are the results from the race:

A Mod:

1st - Troy Davis

2nd - Dave Hilton

3rd - Jay Selby

4th - Jerry Dunlap

5th - Chris Grim

B Mod:

1st - Rudy Formanek

2nd - Jeff Wells

3rd - Alfred Lanza

4th - Lorenzo Martinez

5th - Chris Grim - who by the way set a new record of 1:22:56

Sport 2:

1st - Al Waters

2nd - Don Maher

3rd - Roger Hooks Sr.

Twin (Multi-Engine):

1st - Mike Hughes

2nd - Mark Wright

3rd - Alfred Lanza

Scale:

1st - Dave Hilton

2nd - Troy Davis

3rd - Roger Hooks Sr.

Concours:

Mike MckNight

Grudge Match B Tunnel:

Chris Grim earns BRAGGING RIGHTS =0)

Grudge Match Twin:

Dave Hilton

We had an awesome turnout of racers and spectators. The best so far in the 4 years we've been putting on the Grand Prix Classic.

A special thank you to:

Gary Crawford for helping man the gate all day saturday and for all of his help today.

Jeff Wells for pit boss duties as well as retrieve boat

Jeff Brown, Glen Burkard and last but not least Eric Osman who spent almost the entire weekend in the

retrieve boat!

Thanks to Lorenzo Martinez for cooking all the food for the boat racers...your help was GREATLY APPRECIATED.....

Thanks to Jim Bird for charging up our batteries for the retrieve boat....

Thanks to Mike Hughes, Glen Burkard, Dave Bestpitch and Mike MckNight for helping announce the races.

Thank you to Katrina Brown for being our Grand Prix Classic girl again this year. SHe did an awesome job and we hope she'll be back again next year!

Okay I sound like I'm accepting an oscar award or something....I'm just really grateful for all the help you guys gave us. We could not have put this race on without everyone's help so I'll just give one last

THANK YOU...and I"ll shut up now... =0)

To everyone who attended the race, we hope that you had a good time and will return for another fun race next year!

I'm sure Roger Hooks Jr. will be posting a recap of the action soon. If any of you took pictures at this weekend's race, please email us the pictures or send us a link to where they're posted (ie. kodakgallery.com, shutterfly.com, etc.) so we can get them added to our grandprix classic website.

Jennie Lanza

[email protected]

Huh, A-mod & B-mod both won with a LeeCraft hull,,,,ain't that amazin' :)

Eric miss the plane er sumthin'?

Well Done Jerry and Mike!

It's true that it was a Leecraft sweep of the final tunnel events. It really helped that they were driven by Rudy Formanek and Troy Davis, both excellent drivers. Because the race is run on the love plan, only the place in the final counts for the trophy. It is also true that the newer hulls were very impressive. Eric Bourlet's STOCK (really) engine powered Shaman had a heat time that was better than the Sport 40 heat record of a few years ago and would have been a NAMBA heat record if it hadn't been run in the B Modified Tunnel class. Only Chris Grimm, driving Jimmy Johnson's B Mod Tunnel, was faster and he did set a NAMBA heat racing record. The Lynx hulls continued to to be very fast. Jerry Dunlap had the new Top Speed prototype as well as a new B Tunnel design. Both were very fast for their first time out.

This is what the Grand Prix is all about. New boats are introduced to tune up against last year's proven models. Everyone shares ideas and secrets, has dinner with old friends, and sips Cardtable (Eric and Mike thank you, Don) in the motel room. It was a great time. Thanks Jenny, Alfred, and Roger as well as the rest of the Model Mariners for a perfect season opener.

Lohring Miller

Lohring, on behalf of District 9, we really appreciate you, Jerry, Mike and Eric trekking down here for this. As well as Everyone from SoCal and Arizona....Al Waters, Don Maher, Jim and Jimmy Johnson, Dave Hilton, Byron and Mark. It was great to speak and socialize face to face instead of through e-mail for a change.

I shot some video footage this year and I will be combining that with the Inside RC footage from last year. Roger Hooks and I are developing a promotional video that will be used in a variety of ways to promote not only this race, but our hobby/sport and NAMBA as a whole. As soon as I have it edited I'll encode it for the web plus DVD and you will be able to see it on the Grand Prix Classic website as well as the District 9 website. Roger and I have a rough script done already I just need to finish a few more shots to match the audio. It should be a few minutes in length, professionally voiced and produced in my studio. Hopefully this will act as a stepping stone to bigger and better things for public relations, marketing to sponsors and the perception of exactly what we do.

There is a lot more potential to be realized so look for some interesting changes for next year.

A great big THANK YOU! to those that worked so hard to put on a great event. I posted a couple of the over 100 photos that JD and me took Here . I had a blast it was great meeting up with old friends and making new ones. If anyone out there missed it there is allways next year this is a must attend event .

A great big THANK YOU! to those that worked so hard to put on a great event. I posted a couple of the over 100 photos that JD and me took Here . I had a blast it was great meeting up with old friends and making new ones. If anyone out there missed it there is allways next year this is a must attend event .
Where are the multi-engine Outrigger pixs? :blink: :huh:

Where are the multi-engine Outrigger pixs? :blink: :huh:
Well I was helping Mike so I did not get to take many but JD got a couple . CHeck that gallery again, I just posted more.

Hey Eric,

Hooks, Lanza and crew put on a really fun event.

...........when you see Mike, tell him I said thank you. I couldn't have done without his skid fin.

....and of course Lohring Miller, who pitted for me all day. He made sacrifices so I could do so well.

See ya,

Al Waters

WOW WHAT A "GRAND" GRAND PRIX!!!

THANKS RODGER &ALFRED AND CREW, HAD A BLAST!!!!

ERIC & MIKE, HAD A BALL IN THE "CARDTABLE ROOM" & DINNER. ;) :D

SEE YA NEXT YR. OR SOONER I HOPE.

DON :) :) :)

Great pictures Eric. Thank you for taking the time.

And thank you Jenny, Alfred, Roger. and gang for putting on this race every year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back