GP3300 lifespan

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimClark

How are the GP3300's holding up? Can you expect them to be good for two years or are they only lasting for one years of racing?

Jim Clark

Hi Jim,

It depends on how you run them. On the lower current draw classes like 40 amps or less you could probably get by for 2 years. On the higher amp sprint classes you only get about 25/30 cycles before they start dropping off.

Paul.

Yeah.....what Paul said....

It's usually just the run time that falls off unless you really abuse the cells. I have two year old packs that still show very near the same average voltage as when new, but the 30 amp run times have dropped 80 to 100 seconds. Most packs will drop 40 to 50 seconds in the first year, but if overheated, can drop that much immediately. Not much of an issue if you are not using the full capacity of the packs.

U-40 said:
How are the GP3300's holding up? Can you expect them to be good for two years or are they only lasting for one years of racing?
Jim Clark
Jim,

I would plan on 1 year myself. If you want long lasting cells, go with CP2400 Nicads. And no, not R/C 2400's either.

my 2 cents

Steve

The problem i am running into is I currently use CP2400's and everyone else in the E-RCU Club is using GP3300's and they are clearly probably 3 to 4 mph faster than I am. I can't afford to be buying new batteries each year so ia just trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks for the info

Jim

Jim the other alternative is the mddle road the N3000CR have great life span and very good voltage and may be worth experiomenting with if rules allow

Other wise the Sanyo HR 2600 SCU is a good cell - not quite the volatage of the 3300 or 3000Cr but they have a good life and are a definite step up over 2400's

Hi Jim,

This is probably not a popular answer but if I couldn't afford to buy new cells every year but wanted the voltage advantage of the 3300s I would buy zapped (not matched) 3300s and go for it. That would be about half the cost of matched so a new pack every year would be do-able. Out of the same batch I bet they would be "close enough".

Paul.

Andrewg said:
Jim the other alternative is the mddle road the N3000CR have great life span and very good voltage and may be worth experiomenting with if rules allow
Other wise the Sanyo HR 2600 SCU is a good cell - not quite the volatage of the 3300 or 3000Cr but they have a good life and are a definite step up over 2400's
The N3000CR is too heavy for Jim's class

The HRSU is not a long life cell either.

Paul Pachmayer said:
Hi Jim,
This is probably not a popular answer but if I couldn't afford to buy new cells every year but wanted the voltage advantage of the 3300s I would buy zapped (not matched) 3300s and go for it. That would be about half the cost of matched so a new pack every year would be do-able. Out of the same batch I bet they would be "close enough".

Paul.
I agree 100%

$56.4 for a new set of 12 non-matched GP3300 cells.

I agree totaly with buy the Zapped not matched. Ive done this 2 years and so far I am very happy and I am beating guys running matched packs.

If you are going to try the unmatched cells, slow charge them (1/2 amp or less) for the first few cycles. This will help get all the cells topped up without overheating the cells that reach full charge first. After a few cycles, try fast charging them but watch for any cells that overheat...... heat is the enemy of 3300's....

Patrick M said:
If you are going to try the unmatched cells, slow charge them (1/2 amp or less) for the first few cycles. This will help get all the cells topped up without overheating the cells that reach full charge first. After a few cycles, try fast charging them but watch for any cells that overheat...... heat is the enemy of 3300's....
I would agree with one the first cycle. And one everytime your going to run them after they sit in your shop. GP3300's discharge at different rates just sitting on the shelf. Do this with matched as well.

Or if your running 6 cells packs, get one of those discharge trays

thanks

Steve

U-40 said:
so what is a good fast charge rate for the 3300's? 3Amps?
Jim
Well, that once again depends on what you want...

All out speed, 5 or 6 amps. Long Life 3 amps. Is this just my opinion?, not in this case. A friend of mine from http://www.symmetryresourcesinc.com has completed testing and offered that advice based on these tests and cell construction.

thanks

Steve

sjslhill said:
Or if your running 6 cells packs, get one of those discharge trays

thanks

Steve
JMO, if you use a discharge tray and take each unmatched cell down to the tray limit, then you will need to slow charge the pack following each discharge....

As Steve suggests, slow charge is good for both matched and unmatched packs, particularly for best battery life. Matched packs can accept a fast charge from full discharge, with less damage, 'cause all the cells peak near the same time.

one last question. I heard somewhere that the 3300's were not going to be available anymore. Is this true Steve? Is the next step going to be the 3600's

Jim Clark

U-40 said:
one last question. I heard somewhere that the 3300's were not going to be available anymore. Is this true Steve? Is the next step going to be the 3600'sJim Clark
News to me.....they are going up in prices, some say as high as 40% higher soon.

Back