Good qlity paint for Boats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavinP

Can anybody help with decent quality finish paint for Nitro Boats .

I have tried a few options but still not satisfied with the end result .

The last I tried was Du Pont Nason paints .

I need paint that is available to Canada and preferably can be shiped my post rather than Courier .Dangerous Goods Act .

I am looking for good base colors and also to be able to do reasonable quality trim colors using the air brush .

Klass Kote has been recommended but they don't have a large selection of colors .

I would prefer to Clear Coat once paint work finished just for added protection .

Can anybody help with decent quality finish paint for Nitro Boats .I have tried a few options but still not satisfied with the end result .

The last I tried was Du Pont Nason paints .

I need paint that is available to Canada and preferably can be shiped my post rather than Courier .Dangerous Goods Act .

I am looking for good base colors and also to be able to do reasonable quality trim colors using the air brush .

Klass Kote has been recommended but they don't have a large selection of colors .

I would prefer to Clear Coat once paint work finished just for added protection .
I beleive Klass Kote can match any color you like.

i have used p.p.g and b.a.s.f. base coats with dupont 500-S clear coat and have no problems at all.

I was thinking of going this route, but have no idea about lifting or crazing problems through the process.

Starting with a clear epoxy base over wood, then small jars of model paint (enamel) to do some airbrush work, then an auto clear to fuel proof the model paint and over the clear epoxy sections that were masked, or even epoxy...but I don't like the epoxy yellowing wherever there is white.

There's a huge line of Testors Model Master gloss colors, and also some Boyd's colors in the same line, so there's plenty of colors. All under $2 for a 1/2oz jar. Plenty to thin and do trim colors with through an airbrush. It can be a cheap way to go if it works, and easy to find.

Does anyone have any experience if these materials with this process if it might cause a problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of going this route, but have no idea about lifting or crazing problems through the process.
Starting with a clear epoxy base over wood, then small jars of model paint (enamel) to do some airbrush work, then an auto clear to fuel proof the model paint and over the clear epoxy sections that were masked, or even epoxy...but I don't like the epoxy yellowing wherever there is white.

There's a huge line of Testors Model Master gloss colors, and also some Boyd's colors in the same line, so there's plenty of colors. All under $2 for a 1/2oz jar. Plenty to thin and do trim colors with through an airbrush. It can be a cheap way to go if it works, and easy to find.

Does anyone have any experience if these materials with this process if it might cause a problem?
The risk you face is a scratch in the clearcoat will allow fuel to get to the non-fuelproof color coats. Once this happens you'll end up with a mess. Compared to the time spent prepping and painting, the cost of using a good quality paint is small. Klass Kote has a big variety of colors and if you don't like what they have, you can always experiment by mixing. It's easy to mix and spray.

The Klass Kote clear will have a yellow tint to it. You can use it over epoxy sealed wood and it'll look and work great. It may even be fine for covering dark colors. HOWEVER.......it will look dingy and ugly over white. Maybe if you keep the clearcoat real thin, you won't notice much of the yellow tint. In my opinion, I'd use automotive urethane clear in this case.

And yes, epoxy paints are tough as nails!

if your good with an airbrush i'd try auto air colors, then clear with klasskote
I have used the Auto Air colors over the basecoat and then followed by clear to protect. They have an amazing selection of colors and it is a water cleanup.

Bill

The cowl on my tunnel , was painted with Auto Air , and then cleared with PPG 2021. It runs more under water than on top without any paint problems . Sponson are know cut off and will be re-built . Not sure about painting a hydro with it though . May try it

Ed

30WoF006-1.jpg

Back