Good Prop for a JAE .45??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Beining

I am currently building a Jae .45. It is going to have a K&B .40 as the powerhouse with a mac pipe. I am fairly new to riggers and wanted to know what a good prop would be. The engine is already broke in and runs great. Any help would be appreciated!

1457, 1460, 1655 would be good ones to start with. If you want just 2, choose the 1457 and 1655.

1457, 1460, 1655 would be good ones to start with. If you want just 2, choose the 1457 and 1655.
I havent ventured into the 3 blade prop world yet. What is the advantage of a 3 blade??
Stick with the two blade Nick. In most cases, there are no advantages of a 3 blade on a rigger, especially a JAE. Start with a 1457, Im not sure what else your K&B can pull past that. Is it a K&B 45 or a K&B 40 Sportster(side exhaust)?

Jr.

I havent ventured into the 3 blade prop world yet. What is the advantage of a 3 blade??
Stick with the two blade Nick. In most cases, there are no advantages of a 3 blade on a rigger, especially a JAE. Start with a 1457, Im not sure what else your K&B can pull past that. Is it a K&B 45 or a K&B 40 Sportster(side exhaust)?

Jr.

It is a K&B 40 with the side exhaust.

Jr.

It is a K&B 40 with the side exhaust.

Nick,

A 1455 would be a good place to start with a K&B 40 motor.

The H-18 or 1457 would be the next step up for you.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently building a Jae .45. It is going to have a K&B .40 as the powerhouse with a mac pipe. I am fairly new to riggers and wanted to know what a good prop would be. The engine is already broke in and runs great. Any help would be appreciated!
Mine turns a 1657 behind a new Picco like it's not there,going to go to a 1662 this spring.Motor not broke in and mac pipe not tuned in and got 70.2 mph on gps.

Mine turns a 1657 behind a new Picco like it's not there,going to go to a 1662 this spring.Motor not broke in and mac pipe not tuned in and got 70.2 mph on gps.

Andrew,

There is a world of difference between the new Picco 45 and a K&B 40 side exhaust engines, in hp, rpm and torque. The K&B can not pull any big prop.

John

My bad,forgot about the rpm difference. I'm sure there must be someone out there that could help with that?may be wrong about that too.Newbie mistake,sorry!!!either way the hull is a blast.

Andrew,

How long is your pipe? A 1657 is a good propeller for a 45 hydro,

if you need more, try shortening your pipe to 8.5" and see how that

works for you first. A cut down 1860 is very fast also if you have the motor.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Mark

Thanks for the info. PM headed your way,so I don't side track Nick's post.

The difference between a new Picco.45 and a K&B [4011] side exhaust .40 is about 3 light years in the horsepower and rpm department.....

A Picco .45 is a Greyhound and the K&B [4011] .40 side exhaust motor is a house fly with a heart condition.......X455....or a 1455 with just a bit of cup to get it to hook up....

The combination you will have with a JAE .45 and K&B.40 in Florida water will be a blast to run and near bulletproof but it ain't gonna be a 75mph boat no matter what you do........

Don't over prop the boat and ruin the fun you are going to have with that combo.......... ;) .....Rod Geraghty

Latest posts

Back