Glossy clear finish

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Olson

I just picked up another gas 'rigger last Saturday and the wood work is well done on it so I really hate to cover it up with paint except for a few spots just for better visibility on the water.

What's the trick to getting that mile-deep shine while showing off the wood? I need simple to apply and easy.

ron,,, i personally would bury that thing in clear... you can wet sand it and buff it for that deep glass finish......

Ron

PPG2021 clear, let it sit a day and sand with 1000 grit and buff and it will look like a show boat.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a learning thing for me and afterwards I hopefully can help others on other forum sites as this is one of the questions that keeps popping up more now with wood kits making a comeback.

House of Kolor USC01 show klear. Extremely shiny without buffing and it has good chemical and fuel resistance.

I use POR15 Glisten PC. You can get it on ebay for 40-50 dollars a pint including activator and free shipping. It is bullet proof. If I need to buff out the coat after finish sanding, I usually just use Meguiar's clear coat safe rubbing compound.

i agree with the ppg 2021.... thats what i use...bury that thing,,, wet sand and buff it to your liking.... wet sand till the peel is gone and buff it to a mirror shine......word to the wise... when wet sanding the hull....stay away from corners,,valleys,,etc... try to keep the wet sanding to the flat areas to keep it simple to buff... i have a small hand buffer that runs off air,,,, it really is the best way to buff a hull....unless you have sombody holding the hull real well..... one hook of the buffer could send that hull flying and ruining that beautiful clear job.... oh and the finer paper you use to wet sand the easier it is to buff back out....... i personally use 1500-2000 wet paper on a block.......

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the process I have been using,

I wet sand 1000-1200-1500 then 2000

Compound with a wool buff pad with 3M Perfect-it 3000

Then foam waffle pad with finesse-it

Then hand wax afterwards

That is with Dupont Imron paints

Back