Glass layup question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

Is there a difference in strength between 4 layers of 3 oz cloth and 2 layers of 6 oz cloth in a layup? I would imagine 4 layers of 3 oz cloth would be easier to layup as the thinner cloth tends to conform to the mold better.

What would be a typical layup for a 20 size hull? And how does mat compare to cloth in terms of strength and ease of handling?

Thanks,

kez

I'd go with the four layers. The weave is finer and doesn't take as much resin to fill it as the heavier weave would. If it's going into a 20 sized hull,the shapes are smaller and, as you said, thinner forms better.

First start off with thicken epoxy and fill in all the "inside" corners. This will give you sharp corners and less bubbles. I mix mine to a peanut butter thickness. I also agree with using 4 layers of glass.

We laid up the XTR-21 (3.5 size) and XT-460 (7.5 size) Leecraft epoxy/glass hulls with one layer of 3 oz then 2 layers of 4 oz cloth. We selectively reinforced the sponsons with carbon fiber and foam for stiffness. We also eventually replaced the wood cross beams with carbon fiber reinforcement. The cowls were one layer of 3 oz and one layer of 6 oz. We tried several pin hole elimination methods. The layer of epoxy partially hardened under the layup worked, but we eventually settled on a spray of epoxy primer as the first layer. We filled all the corners with Cabosil (silica powder) thickened epoxy to eliminate bubbles there.

This gave a very tough hull that was around 1 pound lighter than the polyester hulls. The hulls flex on impact but don't shatter like polyester hulls. I saw an epoxy boat hit the bank during a SAW trial at over 50 mph. All that happened was the paint got scratched. I still have several old epoxy XT-460 hulls. My first epoxy boat set the C mod record in 1999. I finally broke a sponson on it by hitting the retrieve boat. I still have the hull and keep planning to fix it.

Lohring Miller

Thanks Guys for your replies. I am laying up a 20 size mono of my own scratch build. The plug and mold turned out quite decent. The plug has a lot of pretty sharp corners (strakes, chine and transom) I will certainly need a lot of cabosil to fill the inside corners.

I will be using polyester resin for the layup so the challenge is to wet out the cloth before the resin set on me. I used to buy this tooling gel coat, which was very expensive and the shelf life was probably a year. I am thinking of using just laminating resin with cabosil and pigment to replace the gel coat. I hope it will work.

I made some radio boxes and fuel tank trays using one layer of 6 oz cloth but it is a little flimsy. I will try one layer of 3 oz plus two layers of 4 oz and see how that turns out.

Thanks,

kez

Back