Gen IV flowmeter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never had a problem with my Gen III. Why would I want a Gen IV.
Boris had made some new meters that flow More CFM, Cool weather runs that require More fuel (OPEN NEEDLE) I have seen days where we only flowed 24 on the Big Engines on a cool day with Good Air. MORE CFM allows you to read a higher number since it is pushing more CFM thru same restriction and you can see the senstivity better. Especially if you are tuning 2 engines & 2 needles.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have checked several meters on several boats. From what ive seen you use your meter and find the numbers you need. Another meter wont get you near what you need.Hence the need to write tose numbers down on paper or in your head.

Kevin,one more zinger before I leave to run some boats this morning.Did Miss Hydro teach you how to spell?Check your spelling of sphygmomanometer.It is a big word for an engineer.

Harvey

I am in Denver the lack of oxygen must have got to me!

Good point Kevin. And the air density too.

A few years ago @ Atlanta SpringNats there were 5 of us close together who all had the Gen II Boris meters (the ones you calibrate before each use w/ the little allen head cap screw) and we decided to check them against each other. We set a couple needles, calibrated and tested each one, four out of five read EXACTLY the same. The one that didn't had a different size tubing for connecting, we changed it to the same size as the others and then it read the same as the rest. B)

Hi, Piston1! You not need replace GEN-3 with GEN-4.

The GEN-4 flow meter aimed to big engines. It can be used with small engine too but reading will be higher comparing to older version. Boris
Please explain why higher flows are intended for bigger engines. On a Gen III the expected flow for a 101is in the neighborhood of 38. I thought 38 is within the accuracy of the pressure gauge. If this number is not within the accurate operating band of the pressure gauge then we have a poorly designed or calibrated instrument. What are you planning to do about that.

Hi, Piston1! You not need replace GEN-3 with GEN-4.

The GEN-4 flow meter aimed to big engines. It can be used with small engine too but reading will be higher comparing to older version. Boris
Please explain why higher flows are intended for bigger engines. On a Gen III the expected flow for a 101is in the neighborhood of 38. I thought 38 is within the accuracy of the pressure gauge. If this number is not within the accurate operating band of the pressure gauge then we have a poorly designed or calibrated instrument. What are you planning to do about that.
GEN-3 and GEN-4 at 5V setup has similar air flow, but GEN-4 at 6V setup has 25% more air flow and more suitable for tuning twin engines in cold weather when reading close to 25 at GEN-3. 38 is perfect reading. Boris

Kevin ,I think you forgot to take your meds yesterday and today.We'll deal with your problems later.

Boris,glad you are on here now.In post 28 you stated that Gen III and IV have similar flow at 5 volts,and about 25% more on 6 volts.When we discussed rebuilding my meter after I destroyed the gauge,you were going to set my voltage at 5 volts since I don't run anything above a 67.My converted Gen IV meter reads about 25% or more above the old Gen III.Is it possible that my meter was set at 6 volts instead of 5,and how can I tell?

Harvey

Kevin ,I think you forgot to take your meds yesterday and today.We'll deal with your problems later.

Boris,glad you are on here now.In post 28 you stated that Gen III and IV have similar flow at 5 volts,and about 25% more on 6 volts.When we discussed rebuilding my meter after I destroyed the gauge,you were going to set my voltage at 5 volts since I don't run anything above a 67.My converted Gen IV meter reads about 25% or more above the old Gen III.Is it possible that my meter was set at 6 volts instead of 5,and how can I tell?

Harvey
By Murphy Low - everything that can be wrong (bad) will happens even if odds 1 to 1000000! Check please voltage on pump and jumper position at regulator or move jumper and check reading again. Boris

A few years ago @ Atlanta SpringNats there were 5 of us close together who all had the Gen II Boris meters (the ones you calibrate before each use w/ the little allen head cap screw) and we decided to check them against each other. We set a couple needles, calibrated and tested each one, four out of five read EXACTLY the same. The one that didn't had a different size tubing for connecting, we changed it to the same size as the others and then it read the same as the rest. B)
Yup I remember that

I am very happy with Gen IV more presure flow reason big 90/101 engine better than Gen III only good .21 to .67 but fair .90/101 sometime lean or rich. I said Thank to Boris M Good Job! B)

I compared Harvey gen4 to my gen 3 yesterday. Like Allan said the high flow works better for big engines. On the other hand a big gauge fig gauge (spelling) will improve the readability.

Latest posts

Back