Gen IV flowmeter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvknox

Boris,I'm posting this here instead of sending you a PM because I think other guys and gals may be interested also.

I'm the only one in Knoxville with a Gen IV flowmeter.The rest are Gen III.On the occasion that someone does not have their meter handy or forgot their meter,what is the conversion number that will take us from III to IV on both 5 and 6 volts?That asumes someone else wants to use my meter.The reverse might also happen!Also please post the reverse number.

Harvey

Boris,I'm posting this here instead of sending you a PM because I think other guys and gals may be interested also.

I'm the only one in Knoxville with a Gen IV flowmeter.The rest are Gen III.On the occasion that someone does not have their meter handy or forgot their meter,what is the conversion number that will take us from III to IV on both 5 and 6 volts?That asumes someone else wants to use my meter.The reverse might also happen!Also please post the reverse number.

Harvey
Harvey,

I would check with both systems right after a "good needle" run so you will have established baselines. Its not so much the "number" but simply having a reference on that particular unit thats important.

every flow meter flows different Joe Warren and i have compared 3 different flow meters from different generations and voltage and got different numbers on all units..

Ron,I've got readings on my own engines on my Gen IV meter.I'm talking about one of our other guys who has left their Gen III meter at home,but knows the number.We can make a quick calculation and read it on my Gen IV meter.

Julian,we checked some of the meters in Knoxville and they are pretty close,all Gen III.The different generations do give very different readings,which is why I asked the question.

Harvey

Ok. I see. Wont help you now but in the future you can check on both systems and establish a baseline and multiplier factor to use on each system to come up with the same flow. Good luck.

I agree with Julian that these units are not calibrated to give the exact same readings from unit to unit, so the only flow numbers that will work are those established on your personal unit !!!... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Harvey,

If you run a different set of intake or exhaust numbers in each

motor you will get much different results. I can flow my 21 and 45

Both at 60 on my Gen 3 meter and they both run very well on each

engine. These are tuning tools to get us close on each motors numbers.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

The point here is that most of our meters were consistent in Knoxville. We could use each others in a pinch if someone didn't bring theirs or a battery died etc. We could also at least get in the ballpark. Now that Harvey had his meter revised, the meter is not even close. There is some 30+ mmHg difference. This has nothing to do with exhaust timing or anything. If you hook it up to just the needle you get way different numbers between meters. I personally don't think there is a fix unless it is recalibrated. Harvey got it all screwed up once again!:)

just flow one boat with the gen 3, then flow the SAME boat with the gen 4 and check the difference....... if its a difference of 30, then there is your number........

The point here is that most of our meters were consistent in Knoxville. We could use each others in a pinch if someone didn't bring theirs or a battery died etc. We could also at least get in the ballpark. Now that Harvey had his meter revised, the meter is not even close. There is some 30+ mmHg difference. This has nothing to do with exhaust timing or anything. If you hook it up to just the needle you get way different numbers between meters. I personally don't think there is a fix unless it is recalibrated. Harvey got it all screwed up once again!:)
Boris has most of them on voltage regulators. Check to see if all are selected the same voltage. A quick look inside will tell you if you are running 2 air motor or 1 air motor? MOST of the time the Voltage Selected on the regulator is the issue....... You can easily change this by moving the location of the pin on the regulator Also Make sure the batteries are fully charged. Loaded voltage will make a difference in the CFM of the Meter.

just flow one boat with the gen 3, then flow the SAME boat with the gen 4 and check the difference....... if its a difference of 30, then there is your number........

Rodney I think you are correct but I don't think it would be a linear relationship between different boats and set ups.

I am not really worried about it. I have my own flowmeter

This thread is starting to make interesting Saturday night entertainment.

Rodney I think you are on the right track,but I also,like Kevin, believe the conversion factor is algebraic not linear.I think Boris's orginal calculations would be more accurate than comparing two meters on one engine.

Joe,the Gen IV flowmeter will always read higher than a Gen III because of its design.If we get a good conversion factor,it will answer the question I asked in the begining.

As far as Kevin is concerned,he was doing pretty good until he thought I screwed up and should get my meter recalibrated.I know Kevin pretty well and that is about as good as suggesting that he take a copy of the "Ladies Home Jounal" into the delivery room for reference during deliveries.LOL

Hopefully Boris will get on here soon and sort this out.

Harvey

Harvey the Ladies Home Journal is a must read along with Cosmo. I need to stay informed and in touch with my patient population. Most sphygmomanometer (I know that is a big word for you Harvey) can be calibrated and yours might have an adjustment. That is what I ment by recalibration.

I dont think you will ever get it linear.... but it would get you in the ball park for flow if you happened to forget your meter. Then after that, thats what a third channel is for ;)

This thread is starting to make interesting Saturday night entertainment.

Rodney I think you are on the right track,but I also,like Kevin, believe the conversion factor is algebraic not linear.I think Boris's orginal calculations would be more accurate than comparing two meters on one engine.

Joe,the Gen IV flowmeter will always read higher than a Gen III because of its design.If we get a good conversion factor,it will answer the question I asked in the begining.

As far as Kevin is concerned,he was doing pretty good until he thought I screwed up and should get my meter recalibrated.I know Kevin pretty well and that is about as good as suggesting that he take a copy of the "Ladies Home Jounal" into the delivery room for reference during deliveries.LOL

Hopefully Boris will get on here soon and sort this out.

Harvey
Harvey. He has built several meters with Different CFM.

Kevin,one more zinger before I leave to run some boats this morning.Did Miss Hydro teach you how to spell?Check your spelling of sphygmomanometer.It is a big word for an engineer.

Harvey

I never had a problem with my Gen III. Why would I want a Gen IV.
Hi, Piston1! You not need replace GEN-3 with GEN-4.

The GEN-4 flow meter aimed to big engines. It can be used with small engine too but reading will be higher comparing to older version. Boris

It is normal! Harvey ask me to upgrade his flow meter to GEN-4 and got much bigger air flow! Boris

Latest posts

Back