gear drive question.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice looking gearbox. The gears look to be a little weak though, wider gears would be a good idea. Gearbox bearings need to be fairly tough with a minimum of 16mm od if you use 5mm or similar shaft. Stainless bearings are a good idea too because corrosion seems to affect gearbox bearings even when regularly lubricated with oil.
Thanks for the info Mr. Marles...Do you think the bearings should have shields? or will they fair well without?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliments on my gear box.

Izitbrokeyet

6061 is the material and the bearings are 1/4 by 1/2.

Dave Marles

The clutch gear is .250 wide and the spur is .200. Same gears they use in 1/10 and 1/8 scale buggies so I think they will hold up just fine. The clutch will soften the shock load on them somewhat also.

Ken t

The gear drive is going into a mono i'm scratch building.

Jay Boyd

Do you think you'll hear the gears over the exhaust?

I'm interested in the Upgear as posted by HendricX. Is there anywhere where I can pull some info on this setup?

inquiring minds want to know :)

Terry

I did the cad work but another guy at work programed and ran the machine (hopefully they will teach me how to run them, the manual machines I can do, thats what I made the exhaust header on). The spur is 40 teeth 32 pitch (mcmaster-carr) and the clutch is 27 tooth 32 pitch (nitro TC3 clutch assembly). Total gear ratio of 1.48:1

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...10032&pos=-2709

Kevin, I always use shielded bearings to keep the gunk out. My gearboxes have a small recess behind the bearing and I have an oil feed into that. No rocket science involved, but it keeps the bearings alive for at least a seasons racing.

The gear-up system described here and used by Peter Ingloff, is only on his .90 boat to try and reduce torque on the hull. I think he used a ratio of between 1.14:1 and 1.2:1. He has just built a new boat for this year without the gear-up though.

Derek, we normally use 3/8"wide gears and regard 5/16 as a minimum especially with the equivalent of 32DP gears (we use Mod 1 which is about 25 DP I think) Boat motors are producing a lot more power than car engines and shock loads are high too. Maybe the clutch will help. You can only try it...

DJT said:
Terry
I did the cad work but another guy at work programed and ran the machine (hopefully they will teach me how to run them, the manual machines I can do, thats what I made the exhaust header on). The spur is 40 teeth 32 pitch (mcmaster-carr) and the clutch is 27 tooth 32 pitch (nitro TC3 clutch assembly). Total gear ratio of 1.48:1

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...10032&pos=-2709

95785[/snapback]

Kewl, was gonna say, someone had access to some fancy equipment there. :)

Question ?

why do all the drive units have one metal gear and one plastic ?

and how long do they run the boats I see the units in ? 10 min-1 hour

rchydro said:
Question ?why do all the drive units have one metal gear and one plastic ?

and how long do they run the boats I see the units in ? 10 min-1 hour

95834[/snapback]

Steve, 2 steel spur gears are very noisy. Steel and delrin work fine with no need for special lubrication of the gears. The gears I use will last a very long time, 2 or more seasons of racing at least. Racetime 30 minutes.

Dave

Dave

This is a buggy motor so I think the gears will hold up fine. And do you think the shock loads are higher than landing from five feet in the air with the wheels spinning full speed?

yes , i think so :

-Boat is heavier then a car

-wheels are turning in the direction of the car , never seen water going the way the prop is turning .

But your test(s) will tell u more :)

B

I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but can't metal on metal create a radio interferance??

Ken

Try rubbing a piece of metal along your antenna and see what your servos do, that will answer your question. Don't do this while your boat is running.

ken t. said:
I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but can't metal on metal create a radio interferance??
96189[/snapback]

I have metal to metal gears on my 21 rigger with no radio problems...

EatMyShortsRacing said:
ken t. said:
96189[/snapback]

96939[/snapback]

Hey Craig .how is a gear drive on a rigger? what props do you run?can the boat handle the torqe ok? Thanks

Nikos

Nigtmare said:
EatMyShortsRacing said:
ken t. said:
96189[/snapback]

96939[/snapback]

Hey Craig .how is a gear drive on a rigger? what props do you run?can the boat handle the torqe ok? Thanks

Nikos

96974[/snapback]

Well the boat is very driveable. I think I ran a 1650 on it last time but that was with an old Rossi engine. I was having issues getting the Rossi to run really hard. I now have a Nova LS and a CMB greenhead I am about to try with it. It also runs an exhaust throttle.

Craig I have two ops 45/21 gear drives that i want to try on a rigger.I have run a cat on a drive and that was ok,but never on a rigger.how much speed do you figure you gain on a 21 rigger with the drive?thanks Nikos

Back