gear drive question.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken t.

I'm just curious what is the reason behind the gear drive cmb's. Why would someone go through the trouble. <_<

ken t. said:
I'm just curious what is the reason behind the gear drive cmb's. Why would someone go through the trouble. <_<
94595[/snapback]

They are used primarily for FSRV racing. These monos use subsurface drive and race anti-clockwise for anything up to 30 minutes. With direct drive it is imposible to get the top end and drivability required for these boats.

They can be a good option for monos as well, Terry K runs one with some succes. I suspect that with a mono its possible to get better throtling and drivability, the down side is that there are a lot of very good props and expertise about for direct drive monos. With a 1.5:1 ration and x450/3 or x452/2 may be good starting points.

Brian

Brian MAhoney said:
ken t. said:
94595[/snapback]

They are used primarily for FSRV racing. These monos use subsurface drive and race anti-clockwise for anything up to 30 minutes. With direct drive it is imposible to get the top end and drivability required for these boats.

They can be a good option for monos as well, Terry K runs one with some succes. I suspect that with a mono its possible to get better throtling and drivability, the down side is that there are a lot of very good props and expertise about for direct drive monos. With a 1.5:1 ration and x450/3 or x452/2 may be good starting points.

Brian

94598[/snapback]

I have seen some sites on the fsrv but have no idea what it is.

Hi ken

You won't go to trouble with gear engines at all.With the right gear ration you will be surprised to see what a small .21 can do!

Just for an example a geared 21 will turn props that a direct drive motor can't imagine like Brian well said.

I Remember a geared 21 KB in a FSR mono spinning a .60 direct drive prop here with no problems.

FSR are basically endurance races 15m,30min and two hour marathon(yes 2 hour) on a M format course.

see more at www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk

Gill

I run 1.5:1 in a Speedmaster 20 mono and really like what I'm seeing. The 21's are making their HP at higher and higher revs and I think the slip factor is hurting us.

My older SD1 ran high 40's very loose on a X440/3, audio tach said the motor was turning about 32,000. I now run that all wetted down for heat racing with a X450/2 and the motor isn't turning that high. Loosened up with an X450/3 I've seen 56 but 52-53 is more common. There's more to be had though! :rolleyes:

Terry Keeley said:
I run 1.5:1 in a Speedmaster 20 mono and really like what I'm seeing.  The 21's are making their HP at higher and higher revs and I think the slip factor is hurting us. 
My older SD1 ran high 40's very loose on a X440/3, audio tach said the motor was turning about 32,000.  I now run that all wetted down for heat racing with a X450/2 and the motor isn't turning that high.  Loosened up with an X450/3 I've seen 56 but 52-53 is more common.  There's more to be had though!  :rolleyes:

94614[/snapback]

Wow, thanks for the info :D So what is different about the motor. Do they must run in reverse no?? Is there any other differences??

Any difference with engines once they are posicioned with the front plate towards the bowl of the boat and the second gear on the motor mount with keep the same shaft rotation that on direct drives. Actually you will have your pipe aligned with the center of the boat ....easier set up! ;)

Gill

This idea is very intriguing. I may have to do some experimenting.

Where do you get the gears and stuff??

ken t. said:
This idea is very intriguing. I may have to do some experimenting.Where do you get the gears and stuff??

94689[/snapback]

If you want a gearbox for a cmb 21 take a look at Prestwich models Dave can give you more info on gear ratios available.

The smaller the engine the bigger the payoff for the gearbox, not seen one used on engines over 45.

Brian

Peter Inglof used UPgear.

The CMB .90 runs at the best torque of about 19000rpm ,(under load)

with the 1.4 ratio the prop turns almost 27000rpm.

Last edited by a moderator:
And all this time...I thought you were gearing down to run bigger props around 13.5krpm :rolleyes:

Great looking Gear Drive Unit.

is it made of 7075?

what size did you end up making the shaft bearings?

great looking work,

DJT said:
There was a post on here some while back about gear drives that got me thinking and tinkering, here is what I came up with.
https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...10032&pos=-2691

95633[/snapback]

Dude that is awesome.I wished i'd thought of it <_< I was going to cut my car engine head down but i never thought to mill the sides...DOH!!

What are you going to put it in, do you have a boat in mind.

I think you have opened up a world of posabilities here...

I have found over the years that running gears especially on a 3.5 lets the engine rev out with good torque at the prop and more power to throttle up from low. On a standard 2 to 1 gearbox the motor will do 33000 but your prop is only doing half that. In non surface prop type boats. The props are not efficient at high revs.

In Europe more 3.5 and 7.5 circuit boats are going to gearing with good effect.

http://www.iansboats.co.uk/GEARS%20&%20BOXES.htm

Ian

DJT said:
There was a post on here some while back about gear drives that got me thinking and tinkering, here is what I came up with.
https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...10032&pos=-2691

95633[/snapback]

That's a nice looking gearbox. The gears look to be a little weak though, wider gears would be a good idea. Gearbox bearings need to be fairly tough with a minimum of 16mm od if you use 5mm or similar shaft. Stainless bearings are a good idea too because corrosion seems to affect gearbox bearings even when regularly lubricated with oil.

Dave

Back