Gas Thunderboat (IMPBA - Distr. 4)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschigoda

In IMPBA District 4, were there many Thunderboats racing this past summer? What motors were popular? How'd it go?

Thanks.

Think there are about 6 racing this year and a few planned to build for next season.

Minute Breakers and Marquette club have had the class not sure about badgers.

The Zipp rocket and the Blazer lauterbach have been most popular hulls, there are some glass insane and speedcraft hulls.

Everyone has a Zen 260 stocker for T boat.

Since last year, dist 2 and 14 have adopted the Zen 260 stocker for the only T boat motor. No sicck or Rcmk. Just get a Zen and it will run 55-60 on a good day.

We have 7 now just in the Madison Indiana club. Having a blast with the thunderboats. Can't wait for Evansville race.

Bird

We have 7 now just in the Madison Indiana club. Having a blast with the thunderboats. Can't wait for Evansville race.

Bird
10 thunder boats entered 5 in each heat. Maybe someone can Knock Chris off his horse. After winning Hobart he will be tough

Last edited by a moderator:
Think there are about 6 racing this year and a few planned to build for next season.

Minute Breakers and Marquette club have had the class not sure about badgers.

The Zipp rocket and the Blazer lauterbach have been most popular hulls, there are some glass insane and speedcraft hulls.

Everyone has a Zen 260 stocker for T boat.

Since last year, dist 2 and 14 have adopted the Zen 260 stocker for the only T boat motor. No sicck or Rcmk. Just get a Zen and it will run 55-60 on a good day.

Curious what the actual rules are in terms of color scheme, etc. Is one 'required' to model a real hull that raced back in the day?

To clarify, If I start with a Blazer hull, does it matter if I finish it to look like a 'real' boat or can I do what I want with paint/cowling, etc.?

I read the rules from what I understand it can look like a boat that did race before or you can do you own design. It has to have a name, sponser logo and a number on it. Either real sponsors or fictional are allowed

Blaster you missed one important part of the paint job, It must be period correct. I know of a few that are illegal but no one has said anything yet. Here is what I found on the rules.

Length shall be a maximum of 56 inches, minimum of 46 inches. Width shall be a minimum of 21”.

All boats shall be a rear cockpit configuration with a period appropriate driver. No animal or cartoon characters.

All boats shall have a period correct paint scheme and sponsor name & logo. The Sponsor/Logo May be original or of your own choice.

Normal hull configuration shall be conventional round nose, shovel nose, dropped sponson or pickle fork design. The pickle fork shall not exceed 10% of the hull length and be modeled after a classic era boat (1950-1970).

Effort must be made to cover the gasoline engine with either a cowling or period correct fake engine.

DonB

I know this has been hashed out before, but to follow the rules to the letter, the Thriftway "Too" and Bardahl cabover would both be illegal. Seems to me that if the boat is modelled after a REAL ROUND NOSED BOAT, it should be legal. I know this is quoting the IMPBA rules, but I think the NAMBA rule set was better written as it doesn't restrict the cockpit location in that way IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY

What about modern hulls can they run with them as well since they need rear exhaust?
Marty Shallenberger has an Oly Beer boat with an RCKM motor that is as fast as the average 1/8th scale nitro boat.
Mikes referring to the Gas Scale Hydro class that we are developing across the country - We will be running the class at the NW Scale Championship race on October 9th and 10th

For information on the class and the race go to www.PNWTA.org

Marty Shallenberger

NAMBA Scale Hydro Chairman

Bird
10 thunder boats entered 5 in each heat. Maybe someone can Knock Chris off his horse. After winning Hobart he will be tough
I'll try putting a blindfold around his driver when he's not looking.....lol

Bird

Bird
I'll try putting a blindfold around his driver when he's not looking.....lol

Bird
If i remember right that last heat Mike you did beat me. I messed the start up a little bit.

I plan to build one to race in Dist 4 too. It might not be ready for next season though. I was told that it can be painted how ever you what. As long as it had a sponsor.

I'm having a hard time finding the Thunder boat rules. It is not in my IMPBA rule book. Is there a link to them somewhere on the internet?

Latest posts

Back