Gas Scale U-95 progress

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwo

Some photos for your enjoyment. This is a laser kit from Mike with some bottom and sponson changes. It will be ready for decks next week. Then comes the cowl and wings.

IMG_20111021_224718.jpg

IMG_20111020_174147.jpg

IMG_20111020_174243.jpg

nice looking boat. Is there a class for scale gas hydro now? or is this an experiment?

Yes there is a class. It is PNWTA.org You can find out all about them there. This class runs under NAMBA insurance but is not yet approved as a legal class in NAMBA. There is a message board on the site and some pictures of a few of our boats. The club will be running with both R/C Unlimiteds and Unlimiteds NW this up coming season. there has been a few new registrations since this years Columbia Cup. Looks like we will have 12 to 15 or more competeing next season.

Yes there is a class. It is PNWTA.org You can find out all about them there. This class runs under NAMBA insurance but is not yet approved as a legal class in NAMBA. There is a message board on the site and some pictures of a few of our boats. The club will be running with both R/C Unlimiteds and Unlimiteds NW this up coming season. there has been a few new registrations since this years Columbia Cup. Looks like we will have 12 to 15 or more competeing next season.
Thought you might like to see the BUD video again- She has a third channel / gyro controlled front canard wing

Marty

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there is a class. It is PNWTA.org You can find out all about them there. This class runs under NAMBA insurance but is not yet approved as a legal class in NAMBA. There is a message board on the site and some pictures of a few of our boats. The club will be running with both R/C Unlimiteds and Unlimiteds NW this up coming season. there has been a few new registrations since this years Columbia Cup. Looks like we will have 12 to 15 or more competing next season.
Thought you might like to see these videos again

Marty

Budweiser

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, is not having any support under the inner edge of the deck around the fuel tank and header going to cause a weak point or any other problem in that area of the hull?

Just curious, is not having any support under the inner edge of the deck around the fuel tank and header going to cause a weak point or any other problem in that area of the hull?
Nope! The decking around the pipe and carb will be removed to match the cowl. The engine compartment is 10" around the carb and header. These things need to breath lots of fresh air! Specially running a steel pipe. Heat anywhere but in the pipe kills the power.

Hey John,

The hull is really looking good. I really like the changes made to the bottom and sponsons. What is the tunnel width and LOA?

I have a bunch of pics taken in Miami 1974 at the hull's first appearance - fairly close up, alongside the dock. Will send if you would like. PM me a direct E-mail address. CHEERS !!! Bob

John,I noticed that your rudder is attached out side your tub dimension,and the actuating rod terminates at what appears to be a transfer shaft to get the linkage lined up with the radio box inside the tub.I've got the same condition on the T-6 Gas Scale I'm building.I haven't yet decided how to hook mine up.It would great if you could post more pics or a description of what you did.

Harvey

John,I noticed that your rudder is attached out side your tub dimension,and the actuating rod terminates at what appears to be a transfer shaft to get the linkage lined up with the radio box inside the tub.I've got the same condition on the T-6 Gas Scale I'm building.I haven't yet decided how to hook mine up.It would great if you could post more pics or a description of what you did.

Harvey
I made an offset bellcrank. The servo pushes on the aluminum lever and it pulls the rudder. I had to make a couple to get the correct throw but it works great.

IMG_20111020_174314.jpg

John,thanks for the info.I 'm planning on doing something similar,but my bellcrank will be at the back compartment,and in the tub for serviceability.I hope to be able to pull the rear link over to the tub for assembly.I hope it works.I was going to use much lighter parts,but after seeing yours I'm going to upgrade.I noticed that you are leaving the compartments open.What are your experiences with this?I can see that with proper storage between weekends,all sections of the boat can ventilate.

Harvey

John,I didn't have my brain in gear.I can assemble the rear link to the bellcrank,then push the link thru the transom and not have to pull the link to one side

Harvey

I did mine this way because past experience. Even thought I use 1/4 carbon fiber with step down at either end to 3/16 with 6-32 ball links their is still a bit of flex in such a long run. If you pull the longest rod you dont get the flex. Thats why my bellcrank is in the front. Post some pics of your build when you get a chance. John

Here is the link to a short video of the first test run for the U-95. Showed good speed and handles very well.

Hey John,

Hull looks solid and fast - Lookin' Good !!! Encouraging for the first test run. CHEERS !!! Bob

Back