Gas Scale hydro builds

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First weekend in May?? Internats in Charleston the end of May. Hummm.

Hey Brian,

I'll make it there one of these light years. We haven't raced in a number of moons now. The scale boat numbers looks like fun. I still have my Oberto - ready to rumble. Har, Har !!!

What??? Retire??? Never. We may be growing older, but we'll never grow up - Har, Har !!! I have a brand new 8255 hull that just needs some stripes, color, graphics and Clear coat. As soon as I clear up the pneumonia I found out I have today - the PPG will fly - Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

My part is done! :D :D :D Boat is headed to it's owner. I think Carl is going to paint it up as the Miss Rock.

Buddy

Hey Buddy,

Lookin' Good !!!

What motor mount do you have on the K30RZ??

I have been looking around for a "Geezer Wheel" and an exhaust header for the K30RZ.

Redline has one I have seen on the side exhaust version, but I don't believe it will work with the RZ with the carb facing forward.

Has anyone tried a Speedmaster starting pulley on the rear exhaust RZ??? CHEERS !!! Bob

You will need the rz mounts for the 30 rear exhaust motor. The redline wheel is larger i do believe and it may work ok,

Thanks, Bob

The mount I ended up using was the RZ drop mount from Gizmomotors. I put a 7/16 deep belly pan under the motor and that let me move the motor a little more forward than what the standard mount would let me. The boat turned out really nice but man that thing is BIG. It make my 1/8 scales look like sport 40's.

Buddy

Hey Buddy,

Thank you.

I built a couple Classic Thunderboats (CT) a couple years back that were my introduction to boats bigger than 1/8th Scale. Mine was 49" long, I figure the Gas Scale I build will be 50" or so. Our dogs are in training to ensure they can run for their lives. I have stocked up some sheetrock, and mud - ready for the inevitable. Also thinking about building a barn size structure out back - Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Here is the next hull from my shop. "The Boat". Being built for a good friend.8255 1.jpg

Got to work on my gas scale,one armed guy makes for slow going. Maybe by Sept it will get wet

Nice looking build jwo. Is it typical to build on a flat surface instead of a jig? Can we do that with 1/8th scale too. My builds have been delayed as I need to build jigs first. Will a flat surface suffice? Thanks.

You just need a flat board that fits between the sponson keels. Cut a bottom sheet and you can glue up the frame to the bottom on the board to get it square and flat. After that you can sit the whole boat on a flat table or board to be sure it stays square. I do the sponson pads last, adding all other front sponson panels first, then the rear after plane, then the decks. Setting the boat on the flat table surface while the decks are glued on will get the hull square. Once those decks are glued down the hull will not flex so be sure it is square.

NOw that the Internats are over I can finish my 82U55. I have it all rigged up and a coat of primer on the hull.

Well I have finished all the setup work and have my boat primed and painted white. Have to lay on the lettering and red trim and clear coat and it will be finished.

Harvey do you have the Bud tesing ok Did you put more power into it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil,yes I've got more power.Gismo modded a K-30 for me.The engine has enough torque to hold the left sponson out of the water on the entire front and back stretch.Voodo Props has now made a prop for me which has reduced the lift and translated the power to speed.I still need to try more props.This boat weighs 21.5 lbs..Interestingly the prop Marty Shallenberger suggested using,didn't work at all.His T-6 is glass,and I think weighs 19 lbs.I've also increased the height of the rear ride pads an additional 1/16".I think the setup is close enough to tear down and paint.The Evansville bunch said I better bring it back in Sept.with some red paint on it.Working on it!

There is a thread on front canards going.For general info my front canard is fixed.I can adjust the angle as needed.I found a Dubro cowl attachment hardware kit which I adapted to install below the canard which is not visible above.The parts are plastic and can break away if necessary.

Hopefully we'll have 5 boats for the Sept. Evansville race.

In my opinion it takes all the power you can get to make these boats run well.I would go for the biggest, badest engine you can squeeze in and stay within 30.5cc,which is the Nortwest Gas Scale limit.

Harvey

Harvey

HArvey, did Gizmo mod the rear exhaust version ofthe side exhaust for you? What pipe are you running on the motor? Thanks, Fred

Fred,Bruce at Gizmo modded the rear exhaust version of the K-30.He and I talked about the piston support on a modded rear exhaust engine.He said this is a different animal than the modded RCMK-RZ that I tried to run,but did not have enough muscle.The modded K-30 is sure starting out better.He also installed a modded 257 carb.I am using a Gizmo 2" flat band aluminum pipe.Marty and I talked about exhaust locations.He said you folks in the Northwest usually run your pipe out the transom,even on the modern turbine style boats.I have run my pipe thru the turbine tube,which means the angle of the pipe is up high in relation to the engine which is pointing down.Gizmo sells a ball and socket rear exhaust header which allows movement in all directions.Only problem I needed max up position for the pipe.In the max position,the inner o ring leaks water into the engine.Solved this by cutting a wedge out of the header and rewelding.Works great.I think the fexible connection at the engine will save a lot of cracking problems in the exhaust area that I've heard about.I also had to weld a new rear pipe support bracket midway down the pipe to eliminate the Speedmaster stinger support which would interfear with my scale turbine tube.Marty said he tried a steel pipe,but went back to an aluminum pipe.I did not ask him if it was a heat problem.Fred,I can send you pictures of this stuff by e-mail,but I don't know how to do it on IW.

Harvey

Back