Gas pipe setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan calabrese

After 40 years of nitro and swearing I never will touch electric or gas I'm building my first gasser a zipp missile my question is on pipe length I an running a stock 26 pum with zippkits pipe what is a good starting length for this pipe engine combo the norm seems to be 13.5 but where are you measuring from and to is it the middle fattest part of pipe and where do you start from ...any helps is appreciated....

Last edited:
From the exhaust flange on the outside of the cylinder, around the curve/bend of the header to the widest point of pipe.
I used a bent push rod with a wheel collar with a second adjustable rod to measure the length
13.5" works fine

Just to be clear. That is center line of the header and pipe. If you measure around the outside, you will be a little shorter. 13.5 is the number for those and several other pipes with the stock motor class.
Mike

Easy way to measure: lay a piece of thin rope along the centerline from exhaust flange to widest part of the pipe as Mike explained, and then measure the lenght of this rope with a ruler.

Man that makes me mad to see him talking about him using the stock pum26 after he already sold it to me . He was talking about him ordering from Zippkits and it was taking a long time to get there blaming post office on why I hadn't received my engine yet. Even telling me to get that pipe when I asked him about a header for it. ughhhhh.

So what pipes are you guys using ( Im needing one for a modded 26 Zenhoa ) the one I have is not performing as it should
Thanks

Last edited:
Gizmo has a nice looking light pipe. It is not the cheapest but looks good quality. has anyone tried one of there new pipes?

Their pipes are okay. Hold alot of heat for some reason. Cut out the internal stinger and they will probably perform better.

Alan Terry ATR has a good 7/8 slip on hotpipe that works well. He makes them custom, so you will have plenty of choices when making them.

With O ring you need water nipples for cooling, otherwise the O-rings burn-up. This is a bit of a sensitive system, though it works for most. I'd try a slip fit pipe: very little that can go wrong there and you only have to worry about the o rings at the exhaust flange.
There are many producers, what springs to my mind is the GZR new vision pipe system sold by Gizmo: new vision pipe kit
Or a hot pipe like system. Though that is not 100% slip on it is also a system without O ring sing the pipe.
https://www.gizmomotors.com/online-store/h-o-r-stainless-steel-hot-pipe-completehttps://quickdrawengines.com/Page_40.html

Great thread for GAS users. Any tips of measuring pipe on BZM 27cc? Please let me know if there is a thread anywhere on IW. Thanks a lot.

Back