Futaba FSU2 failsafe issues.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of Terry problems would go away if he just stopped trying to use the old stuff. All the new radios have all that failsafe built in. Plus you can program all inputs to what ever you like. I never like the old style thrid channel. Trim pot style. You always saw people saying dont touch it when it went to radio impound. No issues with the new setups. It is a knob that does a digital input. It is always the way you set it every time you turn on.
Mike

My eyes .. only way and best way is to have both… failsafes and ignition killswitchs .. which should be mandatory for any and all sanctioned racing…. There’s a reason they make ignition kills…. To stop a 12-25+Lbs Hull travelling speed 60-90 mph .. with bystanders and what not… fails only work if there’s signals or battery on the hull is working…. Other then that… lose battery on hull and it’s still a rouge boat travelling.. or lose a servo there no way of hitting a button on the radio as a back up kill or the old trigger kill

My eyes .. only way and best way is to have both… failsafes and ignition killswitchs .. which should be mandatory for any and all sanctioned racing…. There’s a reason they make ignition kills…. To stop a 12-25+Lbs Hull travelling speed 60-90 mph .. with bystanders and what not… fails only work if there’s signals or battery on the hull is working…. Other then that… lose battery on hull and it’s still a rouge boat travelling.. or lose a servo there no way of hitting a button on the radio as a back up kill or the old trigger kill
Sorry this was for gas I mean lol nitro is obviously different as we all know .. lol

I'm stuck on the old school PCM 1024 wheel radios....I think these were Futaba's finest radios for surface use.
Even in my twins, I subscribed to the KISS principle, new power source, switch, reciever, linkage ends installed yearly... cheap insurance for a 2500.00+ boat.

I think the more bells and whistles that are put into the radios and failsafe gadgets, the higher the chance for failures. You can't guard against every possible scenario, so keeping things simple seems to be the best route in my mind..

Just my .02

Reply from Futaba:

On 2021-10-28 14:58:14 FUTABA TECH (Tony) said:
The hold function is only on the functional when used with PCM.
PPM does NOT have the hold function.
PCM F/S Hold cannot be disabled.

TM-7 Module hold is also NOT able to be disabled.

Tony

The module may also have a hold function if as he says "PPM does NOT have the hold function". Funny the TM-3 doesn't then since when I turn my 3EGX converted tx off the servos are un powered.

the deal breaker for all that old stuff is..............ONE MODEL MEMORY!.. I have LONG purged my old system's. I am quite glad I am not in Terrys predicament (mode one) BUT.. totally love his tenacity for this . DONT GIVE UP TK...

Grim

I can confirm there's no way to cancel the hold function either in the tx or the module, the FSU just ain't gonna work.

I think my only option to get failsafe with this radio is to move the stick and trim pot signals from one stick to the other so I end up with failsafe from the TM-7 module/617FS channel 3 on my Mode 1 throttle.

Wish me luck, it'll either work or I'll let the magic smoke out. Running w/o a failsafe is just not an option.

dont+giveup.jpg

Hi Terry, I have 4 Futaba 3 pm radios and one 3Gr radio. They work with the 603ff and fs receivers. I also have 5 6EX radios that use the 617 receivers. Although they are all the fast system, they are not compatible with each other. I generally use the wheel radios for my scale electric boats and the stick radio for the fe boats. I have trouble using the trigger for racing and prefer the stick. Other than the servo reversing switch, I think the old Futaba 3EGX were the best radios for racing. Thank you, Gary

Well I guess I'm into the 90's. :p

I was able to disconnect the stick and trim pots from both sticks and wire one side to the other so I got CH3 (and FS) on my mode 1 throttle stick. For some reason the trim lever only works around the mid stick position and then very little but I can live with that.

If anyone can tell me about a newer Futaba FASST stick radio that has old school (ratcheted) trim levers please lemme know, I'm gettin' too old for this chit. 😞

full

full

Back