fuel tank location

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinslip

Hi everyone...I just got my 1/6 classic thunderboat from Rc boat Co. and was wondering if there was a better location for the fuel tank. The hull comes with a nice spot for the tank in front of the engine right in the center. But I always thought that inside at the back of the left sponsoon was a better balanced location for it. It would help to keep the left side down and would not affect the balance as the fuel is being burnt off. Any opinion on this?

thanks

Norm

im not too sure about the rc boaaat co hull , but on my t-boat which is a blazer hull i put my fuel tank on the right side forward neext to the engine. and dont have to much trouble with it.

Ray...do you mean inside the left sponsoon or behind the engine to the left?
Just guessing on a 1/6 scale, your going to need weight in the nose, so be it. Fuel tank left just behind sponson transom. Short run to carb also. Ain't nitro so smallest gas tank needed. OMHO........==={}

"The hull comes with a nice spot for the tank in front of the engine right in the center."

Hey Norm,

As you stated in for first post, why don't you try installing it where the hull builder suggested and provided space, and try it in some other positions once you have it running.

The hull designer, Roger Newton, appeared to run the tank forward of the engine center line in his preliminary hulls.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmm. . . . if Newton had earlier designs with tank up front but then changed, there must have been a reason.

My logic, and it applies to aircraft, and cars (mostly off road for me), is as the fuel burns off, the C/G changes. Where is this least or more effective. my experience with hydros and planes is that the more the forward the tank is, the more effect it has on fwd and aft C/G and that is a bad recipe for performance.

The closer you put the tank to C/G, the more consistent the craft will perform. As far as the car goes, it's a big challenge, not much option for tank location, but for boats and planes, the placement of the tank at C/G is more easily accomplished.

There is advantage to putting a tank at a location that can change C/G while racing. BUT, it's a special type of driver or pilot that can keep up with the change and avoid the inevitable crash or loss of a race. I personally like for the setup to not change at all during a race or flight because there are enough changing conditions to worry about.

Some day I will try a fuel cell aft of C/G, my theory is, a little flighty at start of race when weight is heavy and course is smoother, then as fuel burns off, boat gets lighter, course gets rougher, speeds get faster and C/G moves forward and . . . . . . . . . . . .?

I prefer Mr. Cathy's location because of his reasons and mine.

Latest posts

Back