Fuel question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is. I started off using gas but quickly changed to campstove (Coleman/Ozark Trails). No gas smell, long shelf life, no additives like ethanol that can ruin diaphragms and you don't have to touch your carb. I haven't tried 110 LL yet but some guys that I'm supposed to run with this summer use it and work at an airport so if I want some they'll get it for me.

I putt some 100 ll in mine and it seams to start better and sounds crisper on the bench .Will see how she runs on the water.I was using colemen but gizmos said to run the 100 in there engine so I am going to see .

We run Trick 101 w/ 8oz of oil. Same plug and diaphragm for 3 years. Haven't touched the carb at all. Starts first pull.

I would stay away from high oct fuel.. Camp fuel is best..(70oct)

8oz per gallon (16-1)

Grimracer

One thing to keep in mind about av gas is that it is blended to run at a higher elevation/lower temp and oxygen levels... Not saying that it won't work, just will not make as much power as a high octane fuel blended for off road racing use.

And on a side note, watch for fuels that are listed as "oxygenated" they will require a richer needle setting or you will run the risk of torching your engine... Some as much as 20 percent!

One thing to keep in mind about av gas is that it is blended to run at a higher elevation/lower temp and oxygen levels... Not saying that it won't work, just will not make as much power as a high octane fuel blended for off road racing use.
what

And on a side note, watch for fuels that are listed as "oxygenated" they will require a richer needle setting or you will run the risk of torching your engine... Some as much as 20 percent!
Worth noting that gas containing ethanol is oxygenated and Up to 10% doesn't have to be labeled at all. So you get the double whammy of ethanol trashing car parts and having to run richer than straight gas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good advice Jim and very true. Some fues sold by VP, Torco, Sunoco, etc. are listed as oxygenated. These are the fuels I am talking about. They will quickly destroy an engine not tuned right. If your engine has not been designed to take advantage of higher octane fuel then a higher octane number will only put a dent in your billfold with little to no gain. When you have your engine modded by the builder this should be a topic to touch on. If you are running a stocker than you might see a little gain in a higher octane pump gas, but beyond that it will be a mute point.

Good advice Jim and very true. Some fues sold by VP, Torco, Sunoco, etc. are listed as oxygenated. These are the fuels I am talking about. They will quickly destroy an engine not tuned right. If your engine has not been designed to take advantage of higher octane fuel then a higher octane number will only put a dent in your billfold with little to no gain. When you have your engine modded by the builder this should be a topic to touch on. If you are running a stocker than you might see a little gain in a higher octane pump gas, but beyond that it will be a mute point.
I think those are old labels; as far as I know back in the '90s if oil companies added ethanol to their pump gas it had to be labeled as oxygenated. Of course, there were other additives which were oxygenates (methanol, MTBE, and ETBE) which were just awful as all hell, and are banned. As I understand it, nowadays they can add up to 10% ethanol and not have to tell you about it. They were trying to get that bumped up to 15% but the backlash delayed that.

Luckily I live right by Lake St. Clair so I can go to marinas which sell ethanol-free gas.

Mr Thomas, airplane fuel is just that, fuel for airplanes. And Mr Jim you are correct. The fuel I am referring to is not pump gas, but blended race fuel from a manufacturer in a sealed container. I am not trying to cause a debate only pass on what I have learned from 20 plus years of racing fuel and conventional "pump gas" . I have been in contact with manufacturers and been in lab tests to see the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seek out a service station in your area that offers No-Ethanol Gas most of it is 87 Octane and use 10 ounces of Amsoil Dominator Racing oil and you will be good to go!!!!

Later!!

Pat

Boaters,

You can usually find no ethanol fuel at a marina.

The older motors and new ones do not like it.

A little pricey though.

Thanks For Reading Fellas,

Mark Sholund

Back