Frankenstein Update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izitbrokeyet?

Just a quick update. Boca delivered on a bunch of bearings today so they were installed. I went and purchased the ceramic out of habit ($cha-ching$ there goes the $250 budget) but this motor can be kept within a reasonable budget with the Econo-power series of bearings. I was a little concerned about how the PTO bearings would be lubricated so I went with the ceramic to be safe. I’ve attached a pic of the innards to peak peoples interest. The powerhead is a cheap knock-off of the novarossi longstroke made by a Korean Company called HoBao. (apparently patent is not a word in their vocabulary).

The carburetor is due to arrive tomorrow and the bullet pipe should show up by then too (Tim?)

Spent (net)

TT motor 150-56=$94----thanks Rod

8-port motor 160-65=$95

bearings 70 Could have been $40

Novarossi head button/cover $35--thanks Rick

20g carb $20 thanks Brad

tuned pipe $75I was unable to talk Tim into giving me a discount. ;D

Grand total $359……..looks like one of my typical projects (over time and over budget)

But I’ll reserve judgment until I see it run.

I was going to keep the head at .006 but after hand lapping the P/S I decided to start off at .010”. I’m hoping to break it in this Friday PM if this freggin Kidney stone doesn’t act up.

I’ll keep yas posted.

Hi Kevin,

Looking Good. Making excellent progress hope it goes hard.

Don't worry about the kidney stone and the pain - it will pass. LOL

Sorry didn't mean to be unkind.

GT ;D

Im no expert on motors ,could you please explain what lapping the P/s is and what it dose,and how you do it, I'm just trying to learn new things. thanks Dale B toledo oh. :)

Dale,

Lapping a Piston into the liner is a way to get a very good fit when the p/l fit is tight. I use two abrasives (1um compound and 1/2um compound). In lieu of using the break-in process to wear this metal away, it’s generally easier to get a good fit by using abrasives to wear this metal away under controlled conditions. I’m sure many people use different means of lapping, so here’s how I do it:

1.Take off the head button

2.Secure the liner into the crankcase (depends on the motor but usually this can be done by using the head bolts and washer without the head button.

3.Move the piston to BDC use pinky to smear a small amount of abrasive around the inside of the liner (make sure you don’t use too thin a solution to keep it from getting into the crankcase and lapping your bushings & bearings).

4.rotate the crank though a complete rotation.

5. re-apply (smear) lapping compound around the inside of the cylinder.

6.repeat step 4-5 about 5 times then clean out the liner.

7. repeat steps 4-6 about 10 times then do it about 10 times using ½ um compound.

8. completely clean, lubricate and re-assemble engine

9. smile at how good the p/l fit is when you bump the motor across TDC 50 times and don’t loose a seal ;)

I recommend using a high grade diamond lapping compound.

The lower unit is a stock Thunder tiger that has had the exhaust cut out of the leg to make room for a tuned pipe. The gearing on this one is around 1.1:1.

Back