Foreign Shipping

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troymcintire

Does anyone out there know if there is anyway recourse against a Foreign Customs on shipping? I have had 2 packages returned to me by Foreign Customs from their mistakes and or damage ( 1 Australian and 1 German) And the Us Post office just says TOO BAD!!!

Its getting frustrating and expensive to the point where I am pnly going to send stuff Fed Ex outside of North America and the person on the other end will have to pay the price. I realize regular US Postal Service is cheaper but not if it comes back. Its getting to the point that to send stuff out of North America just isn't worth it.

Troy

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone out there know if there is anyway recourse against a Foreign Customs on shipping? I have had 2 packages returned to me by Foreign Customs from their mistakes and or damage ( 1 Australian and 1 German) And the Us Post office just says TOO BAD!!!

Its getting frustrating and expensive to the point where I am pnly going to send stuff Fed Ex outside of North America and the person on the other end will have to pay the price. I realize regular US Postal Service is cheaper but not if it comes back. Its getting to the point that to send stuff out of North America just isn't worth it.

Troy

I feel your pain Troy. It has also happened to me sending stuff from oZ to the US and Europe. It is beyond a joke. The postal services think they are God! Other options are way too expensive.

Dave

I don't have any experience with international shipping but my domestic shipping with the USPS has not been good! Priority Mail is a joke and they'll lose that stuff in a heartbeat. I've still got a package that I sent USPS back to Tower Hobbies that is stuck in the Twilight Zone :angry: ! I sent $2400 worth of checks registered mail from Florida to Chicago and it took 15 days to get there and this wasn't during hurricane season :eek: ! My mother wrote one of the checks and she had to put a stop payment on it because we thought that this package had joined the Tower Hobbies stuff in the Twilight Zone.

About 4 yrs ago, my parents mailed an OPS tuned pipe to me via USPS Priority Mail (South Carolina-Florida.) I gave up on it after about 10 days. It showed up 15 days after being mailed and it had post office markings from several places in Texas :eek: ! Afterall, the quickest way down the eastern seaboard is via Texas :rolleyes: .

If it's important, don't use the US Postal Service!

I don't have any experience with international shipping but my domestic shipping with the USPS has not been good! Priority Mail is a joke and they'll lose that stuff in a heartbeat. I've still got a package that I sent USPS back to Tower Hobbies that is stuck in the Twilight Zone :angry: ! I sent $2400 worth of checks registered mail from Florida to Chicago and it took 15 days to get there and this wasn't during hurricane season :eek: ! My mother wrote one of the checks and she had to put a stop payment on it because we thought that this package had joined the Tower Hobbies stuff in the Twilight Zone.

About 4 yrs ago, my parents mailed an OPS tuned pipe to me via USPS Priority Mail (South Carolina-Florida.) I gave up on it after about 10 days. It showed up 15 days after being mailed and it had post office markings from several places in Texas :eek: ! Afterall, the quickest way down the eastern seaboard is via Texas :rolleyes: .

If it's important, don't use the US Postal Service!
In defense of the USPS all my stuff is important and I ship via USPS Priority, Global Priority, Express, Air and First Class mail never having had a problem. I have insured items going overseas and would think that it be paid by the USPS if anything happened, to this point nothing has happened in 6 years of doing so. I have shipped to Canada, Australia, Germany, Korea, China among others all with no problems so far.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron it sounds like you've had great luck with the postal system! Obviously I wish that I could say the same since they are usually the least expensive option for smaller packages. My luck just isn't as good :( .

Ron it sounds like you've had great luck with the postal system! Obviously I wish that I could say the same since they are usually the least expensive option for smaller packages. My luck just isn't as good :( .
On this note i have sent things from Canada to the states and it has took more than 20 - 25 days to arrive in the states and things i have bought off ebay i have had returned feedback of unpayed with negitive feed back even though i told them it may take awhile. This is crap since these people don't take paypal. There is no such thing is 5 day delivry from CANADA unless you pay 11.00 for registred mail and as i am fining out i have sent a package registered witha signature from Canada to the states and it has takin over 9 days so far as i have been tracking it and its still on route to delivery. MAiL SUCKS

Jeff

My luck has been good until a couple of years ago. One package of fake engines I sent to England is in the Twilight Zone still. With Zero Postal Cooperation. And this last summer I had 2 cowls that took 3 shots each just to get them to Canada.

I am glad you have good luck Ron, but my faith is all but gone if its sent outside the US.

Troy

I lost a beautiful .15 rigger through USPS. I made the mistake not to insure it as the buyer didn't pay for it. So I bought delivery confirmation. However, that is as only as good as the post man delivering the package. They told me "some post office mail people are just to lazy to enter the info". Somewhere some how it just vanished off the face of the earth!

I'm from Canada and it's not a funny game to ship outside our country :angry: This year i lost 400$ US for lost items!!! This is enough for me! I made the decision to insured and tracked all the box that will get out of my country! The bad side of this is the higher cost the buyers will have to assumed :( but i won't get any bad comment and the buyer will be able to check at it without asking me each day 'Where is my box?' 'would you refund me???'...or worst....%?$@*

It's the only way i'll make deal that goes through the mail system! :huh:

So i don't close the door for intl shipping but the buyer is advise that it will cost a lot!!!

Find a better local post office. My wife ships stuff 3 or 4 days a week (eBay business) and has tried out several different post offices. She realized pretty quickly that the best service is from our own small town post office. The larger/busier post offices are not at all accomodating. A package to Canada was recently returned. Canadian customs rejected it because she didn't include her last name in the return address. It was on all the forms, just not the return address section. She took it to the local post office, after adding her last name, and they sent it again, for free.

Back