flex shaft greasing method

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john urbowicz

a method I use for greasing flex shaft works very well. after shaft removed, inject grease into the back end of strut. put a piece of rubber or vinyl sheet in between end of stuffing box and coupler. back out coupler until piece is sandwiched between coupler and stuffing box. this creates a seal and then you push cable into strut and grease is forced back between cable and stuffing box completely covering cable and excess is pushed out the back. when cable end hits rubber piece , remove piece and push cable all the way into collet. after you find out how many pumps of the gun is needed to coat cable completely process is very clean and works well.

I do the same but just put my finger on the end of the tube and use lubraplate in the squeeze tube to fill the shaft.

Ever since Andy told me about this grease I have not used any thing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the oiller also with synth. oil I put a piece of fuel tubing on the shaft next to the brass tube to help keep the oil in the brass tube and flex shaft. I don't take the shaft out untill I am done runing at the end of the race,have let shaft in the boat for two weeks with no problems

Walt Barney

i have been using bellray waterproof grease for the past 2 years with no probs can run a good 6 times before greasing again

i use the strut bushings from Daniel place with the shaft and bush out there's plenty of room for the gresse to be sucked in as the shaft is inserted works well for me

but i will be trying johns method next time

cheers rick

a method I use for greasing flex shaft works very well. after shaft removed, inject grease into the back end of strut. put a piece of rubber or vinyl sheet in between end of stuffing box and coupler. back out coupler until piece is sandwiched between coupler and stuffing box. this creates a seal and then you push cable into strut and grease is forced back between cable and stuffing box completely covering cable and excess is pushed out the back. when cable end hits rubber piece , remove piece and push cable all the way into collet. after you find out how many pumps of the gun is needed to coat cable completely process is very clean and works well.
is this the same john urbowicz from ct who used to make the aluminum riggers?

I'm old-school and like to remove my cables and grease them with a finger. I can check the cable for damage while it's out. Had I heeded my own advice then I probably wouldn't have lost a $73.00 prop and cable yesterday! The outer strands were starting to unwind and knew that I'd have to replace it soon.

I'm old-school and like to remove my cables and grease them with a finger. I can check the cable for damage while it's out. Had I heeded my own advice then I probably wouldn't have lost a $73.00 prop and cable yesterday! The outer strands were starting to unwind and knew that I'd have to replace it soon.
Ditto.

Back