Flat Working Surface?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackout

Can glass make a flat working surface? If so, how thick? I have some 1/4" glass, but it is about 1/8" low in the middle of a 48" length. I want something that won't absorb moisture and warp.

Thanks.

it's 3/8", craig. not sure if it's case hardened or tempered (or if that makes any difference). dead flat, only supported at four corners. but, if you want a work surface, go with granite, like RRRay says ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Granite ROCKS! Build right on it and if you get any adhesive or epoxy drips they come right off when dry with a quick swipe of a single edge blade. A nice thick piece will stay flat but just be sure to build a STRONG support for it. B)

Look for a granite fabricator in your area. You should be able to buy scraps/remnants of a decent size for cheap.

ya i just made a 3x5 table out of 4x4 legs and used 2x4 for the top base.then the top is 3/4 " mdf I used 2 2x 4 cross braces amd lots of wood screws then toped it with lots of pollyurethane.its flat and should be water proof for the ocacainal spill not shur about nitro tho.I was at a cab shop the other day and the owner said that he was going to be doing a counter top and would have some left over 1 inch granit about 2' buy 3 ' i could have.so i would check with counter top guys.

Granite ROCKS! Build right on it and if you get any adhesive or epoxy drips they come right off when dry with a quick swipe of a single edge blade. A nice thick piece will stay flat but just be sure to build a STRONG support for it. B)
Can I borrow a couple clamps :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: nice build

Glass flexes so it has to be thick tempered and placed on a flat surface ... I'm going to be looking for a piece of granite myself :)

I use 3/8" glass on two 3/4" thick MDF boards glued and screwed. Used 2 sided tape from a trophy shop. very thin ana strong and secures the glass to the MDF.Put the whole thing on a rolling tool chest that holds all my clamps in the drawers right where I need them. Works for me and I can move it out of the way when not needed.

Rick

Thanks guys!

I picked up a 25" x 54" piece of 1.1875" granite for $75. Looks like a used piece from a removal project, but seems flat and smooth. I guess that is a good price.

back when I used to build and fly aircraft, the building surface I used was a new inside house door that was finished with luan on both sides. (door only) this is as flat and true as you can get. don't use panneled door. just my 2cents JON

You can buy a Aluminum Machinest plate. It is Ground Flat And Sold that way.A little pricey But........ it is FLAT.......

I have a piece of granite that looks exactly like the one in Don's pic. Went to a place right behind my work and they wanted $175.00 for a piece like it. Went to another counter top place in town and the guy asked that I make a donation to the local chirdrens foundation, which I thought was a great idea. When I asked how much was appropriate, he came back with "how's $20.00 sound?". So I huried up and pulled $40.00 out of my wallet and shook his hand. He then pointed me to an area out back of his shop where there were several skids with pieces to pick from. Not only that, they put it in my truck for me once I picked out the piece I wanted.

Like Don said. get something sturdy to put it on. It's brutally heavy!

Ron

Ron,

Great story! Nice way to help children out.

I wonder if Joe Scott has any in stock?

I do my propellers on a nice slab for my balancers to sit on.

Thanks,

Mark

Back