Fixing a sg eagle

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with the west system. Much stronger than a quickset epoxy. If you need a quick fix I might use the quick stuff but chances are you'll probably have to redo it down the road.. just my opinion.

Brian

Epoxy as stated... reinforce the repair with a carbon plate, maybe some 45 degree triangle stock from the LHS... I "pin" my transoms with dowel stock like a toothpick/skewer also... did your rudder not kick and shear the brass bolt?.... hard hit.... good luck...

I have epoxied the transom on then used some carbon fiber to wrap from the inside the side to transom to the other side with one piece.

No it didn't break the brass bolt. I think the glue job was bad in the frist place. Thank's for all the help. Epoxy it is.

What is LHS. Left hand side

After you get it glued back in place with a good epoxy, you'll want to bolt some angle aluminum in the corner where the rudder attaches. There are some pictures of this in Mike Hughes' JAE 45 build if you follow the link. It helps tie everything together much better than just the glue alone.

http://www.intlwater...ic=46003&st=15#

Pictures are in post #30 at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do NOT use quickset epoxy. Use 30 minute or longer set as it creates a much stronger bond than the quickset for a permanent repair. If you can get any carbon fiber angles it is far better than alum as it is stronger and bonds better. There are several websites that sell it. If there is a ice hockey rink close to you see if they have a broken stick(s) in the trash you can get for nothing. You can cut it for the correct size you need. Hobby shop triangle stock is normally balsa or basswood and is not strong enough for a transom support and repair. Besides it gets in the way with the mounting bolts of the rudder.

Do NOT use quickset epoxy. Use 30 minute or longer set as it creates a much stronger bond than the quickset for a permanent repair. If you can get any carbon fiber angles it is far better than alum as it is stronger and bonds better. There are several websites that sell it. If there is a ice hockey rink close to you see if they have a broken stick(s) in the trash you can get for nothing. You can cut it for the correct size you need. Hobby shop triangle stock is normally balsa or basswood and is not strong enough for a transom support and repair. Besides it gets in the way with the mounting bolts of the rudder.
We're not glueing the aluminum. Look at the pictures, there are bolts that go through the side tub rail and the rudder bracket bolts go through the transom and then through the other side of the aluminum.

If the glue joint failed due to bad glue/epoxy you will want to remove any old glue and rough up the wood with some 80 grit sandpaper so the new adhesive will bond well.

Back