First Testing CMB 21VAC

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlnoki

Today Tracy Dolphin and myself went out to the Centreville lake to do a bit of testing and videoing of my new 21 rigger with the 21VAC and his

1/8 Scale boat.

The INITIAL Engine set up on the 21 motor is as follows:

Head clearance: .006 in.

Plug: O'Donnell Purple

Fuel: O'Donnell 60%

Pipe: AB 21 Long pipe (basically very similar to the OPS pipe with a muffler can added at the manufacturers.)

set at 7 7/8".

Prop: ABC 1718 with 4.43" TE pitch sharpened and balanced. (originally thought it was a 1618, but i did not have my dang glasses on!!!!!!!!!!) Oh, Well<<<<<<<<<

first time out, motor was rich but started to pop up on the pipe some. did some fairly quick and slow running to loosen the motor up some. ( I already did the heat and cool down process at home in the oven.) (The Mrs. gave me S _ _ t for doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

next time out started leaning the needle more. very good response. motor throttled up and down pretty cleanly.

next time out, a bit more lean on the needle. even better throttle response and the boat really starting to come alive.

next run, leaner needle, HELLO!!!! really started to wake up now. Throttle response, even better.

all during these runs except the last couple, the wind was coming straight down the front straight and water was choppy most of the time. Yes i did manage to dump the boat

a couple times on the right side of the course. (around bouy 9 and 10) LOL (where the water was worse.)

we called it a day after we ran Tracy's 1/8 scale and headed back to the house.

NOTE: we did not do speed testing as it would have been fruitless with the water conditions we had today.

A couple of interesting observations on the motor during the tests.

1. I used the same plug all dang day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(with the 06-07-09 versions, it would have been one time out, one plug dead.)

2. I use the Boris Mazor flow meter and love it. The red head valvolas i have BEEN running are set at 74-76 on the flow meter.

On the VAC it is flowing at 88-90 !!!!!!!!!!!!! go figure. (leaner) but still smoke out of the pipe and the plug is text book perfect when it comes back in right now.

Like i said, this was its' first outing and more testing is to follow with radar gunning and pipe and prop testing as well as the breaking in process.

hope this has helped those that have these little jewels.

Carl

I am just waiting for Tracy to send me the video so i can try and screw it up trying to attach it on the next report. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Today Tracy Dolphin and myself went out to the Centreville lake to do a bit of testing and videoing of my new 21 rigger with the 21VAC and his

1/8 Scale boat.

Pipe: AB 21 Long pipe (basically very similar to the OPS pipe with a muffler can added at the manufacturers.)

set at 7 7/8".

Prop: ABC 1718 with 4.43" TE pitch sharpened and balanced. (originally thought it was a 1618, but i did not have my dang glasses on!!!!!!!!!!) Oh, Well<<<<<<<<<

first time out, motor was rich but started to pop up on the pipe some. did some fairly quick and slow running to loosen the motor up some. ( I already did the heat and cool down process at home in the oven.) (The Mrs. gave me S _ _ t for doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

next time out started leaning the needle more. very good response. motor throttled up and down pretty cleanly.

next time out, a bit more lean on the needle. even better throttle response and the boat really starting to come alive.

next run, leaner needle, HELLO!!!! really started to wake up now. Throttle response, even better.

all during these runs except the last couple, the wind was coming straight down the front straight and water was choppy most of the time. Yes i did manage to dump the boat

a couple times on the right side of the course. (around bouy 9 and 10) LOL (where the water was worse.)

NOTE: we did not do speed testing as it would have been fruitless with the water conditions we had today.

1. I used the same plug all dang day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. I use the Boris Mazor flow meter and love it. The red head valvolas i have BEEN running are set at 74-76 on the flow meter.

On the VAC it is flowing at 88-90 !!!!!!!!!!!!! go figure. (leaner) but still smoke out of the pipe and the plug is text book perfect when it comes back in right now.

Like i said, this was its' first outing and more testing is to follow with radar gunning and pipe and prop testing as well as the breaking in process.

Carl

I am just waiting for Tracy to send me the video so i can try and screw it up trying to attach it on the next report. LOL

excellent feedback on these new cmb 21 vac systems , kepp us posted on more.. thanks jason,,

1/8 Scale boat.

set at 7 7/8".

Carl

excellent feedback on these new cmb 21 vac systems , kepp us posted on more.. thanks jason,,
Thanks Carl. Were you able to pull that prop with your Valvolas? Richard D

the standard red head volvolas, no.

the standard valvolas love high revs but lack in torque.

the VAC has torque.

Carl

just getting more time on the motor for our

annual race on the 25-27.

am trying a couple different pipes right now.

Andy Brown 21 STL and will try the 21XT which i use

on the regular red head motors. (this pipe i know really

loves to rev up.)

will let you know how it goes after our race.

Carl

Carl, have you done any testing with the AB fat pipe? If you have, how does the fat pipe compare to the billet XT pipe? Richard D

i do not own a AB fat pipe, the STL

is supposed to be very close in performance.

Carl

Carl,

Try the XT pipe at 7.5" to start, and try an H-6 @3.46" of TE cup.

You may need a better propeller for all the extra power. :D

Remember: RPM = SPEED, just ask the electric guys?

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Just checking NAMBA results with all this power the new VAC 21

has why where Mark and Chris Grimm only running 1445 propellers,

I thought the new VAC had heaps of torque, just thought i would ask as

i was looking at getting one,

cheers Luca

cheers Luca

Mark and Chris Grim do not even know how to spell "Stok" engines.....

What I am saying is that Mark and Chris do not run engines "Out of the Box". They are far ahead of most boaters on how to mod an engine and make it work.

cheers Luca
Because they were running in temps and humidity in the upper 90's and water that was, as a quote came to me from someone there, "like running in pea soup." The pond developed an unexpected and sudden surface algae problem. :blink:

Back