First Outing -Twin Gas Eagle SGX.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course Andy knows this, but there is a specific design aspect of fins other than the curve that determines if the fin "lifts" or not. The bend/curve only affects how quickly the fin either does or does not start lifting. Andy probably just does not want to get drawn into that type of post(neither do I) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
come on guys spill the beans.

There are a lot of us gust starting in this hobby that would love to here it.

there is nothing like a good debate to get the mind thinking.

Yes Ian. Hook has become a fad. Many newer boaters do not know what the "oldtimers" knew.

Dale, On a twin it can easily be done with strut adjustment. To a certain extent that will help a single too. Props, rudders and their placement have an effect. The shapes, angles on the hull that are influenced dynamically have a very big effect, so for the most part it must be built into the hull.
Andy, I presume SGX's don't have hook in the turn fins because it is a 'fad' tho? Why has outrigger designs in general moved away from straight fins and boats designed to use them? Can the SGX be made to work without a hooked/angled fin?
I did not say I was not involved with the fad. Heck, I helped start it. I put hooked fins on that 1980 Crapshooter and my late 70's Pinckert Gators. What I really mean to say is that these days most eveyone is putting a lot of focus on the turn fin and not paying enough attention to other parts of the hull. Anything will turn if you put a big hooked if on it, but there is a lot more to turning quick and clean than the fin.

I took this footage of Alfred's twin rigger testing different props before the Las Vegas event at Shinn Pond in Fremont CA. Enjoy!!

Thanks for the video Mel. That was the last time I ran the Orange R42 I had, Alan Terry was testing his new T44 for World Cup in Vegas and Alfred was testing his Twin Rigger for the second time. Alfred had it running a lot stronger by the end of the day as he was figuring out props. Testing continued at the World Cup for Alfred but with Brent Daily by his side tweaking prop pitches. Was really inspiring watching his Twin go from the first run to where it is today.

I've started the build on mine and have taken advice from Andy and Alfred, I'm taking my time to build it correctly since it was a 80% kit. Alfred was nice enough to allow me to have his boat to use as a reference since Andy built his. Instructions are detailed but nothing is better than having a boat to measure off so I'm pretty lucky.

Back