FireFighter .45 Project.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, I'll bet I can get it where I'm going to go to school at. teh book store is in an art & design school. :D

Got in some good testing this weekend, it was a windy day 9-20 mph all day.

By raising the strut so the bottom was even with the rear sponsons I was able to fly through the chop pretty flat. I reduced the water flow to the head and shortened the pipe to 9.5 inches.

This is the size hydro I should of started with. I have running 3.5's since I started boating. The .45 is much easier to set up, tune, launch. It hasn't died on the water yet. Oh and it's really fast. :D

MikeP

MikeP said:
Got in some good testing this weekend, it was a windy day  9-20 mph all day.By raising the strut so the bottom was even with the rear sponsons I was able to fly through the chop pretty flat. I reduced the water flow to the head and shortened the pipe to 9.5 inches.

This is the size hydro I should of started with. I have running 3.5's since I started boating. The .45 is much easier to set up, tune, launch. It hasn't died on the water yet. Oh and it's really fast. :D

MikeP

112911[/snapback]

they can be more forgiving!

MikeP said:
That's good to hear, I've just started getting into hydros and fortunately a few people steered me toward .45s instead of .21s. They gave similar reasons.

Mike, love the glass articals you post on your gallery. The blue foam you use, is that the same stuff you find at the hardware store thats used for insulation? If it is, can plywood sheet be epoxied to it. Looking to build some WOF sponsons and was shocked at the prices of divinycell/klegcell foam.

Thanks

Robert

Bob,

Try to get the lightest balsa wood that you can find,it will make a nice light

set of sponsons for you. They will be much stronger than the foam ones and

they will last a long time.

Good Luck Building,

Mark Sholund

tracerbob said:
Mike, love the glass articals you post on your gallery.  The blue foam you use, is that the same stuff you find at the hardware store thats used for insulation?  If it is, can plywood sheet be epoxied to it.  Looking to build some WOF sponsons and was shocked at the prices of divinycell/klegcell foam.
Thanks

Robert

113441[/snapback]

I use spyder foam from Aerospace Composites, it's not Divinycell but it's some good stuff it's thicker and harder than the insulation foam. 2' x 4' is about $35.00 The FF 45 is the first time I used Divinycell, I got in on some free samples before they caught on to us.

You can laminate ply with epoxy on any of the foam just fine, a lot depends on how you build the sponsons. The way Tom has designed th FF sponsons the pink foam works good because he has it sandwiched between layers of wood to support the boom tubes.

Hope this helps

Mike

Latest posts

Back