Filling pinholes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

Is Bondo glazing body filler (the solvent type available at Walmart) a good choice for filling pin holes in an epoxy glass boat? Because it is a solvent type filler, my concern is the filler may shrink and show up under the paint with age.

I heard Bob Violett has a pinhole filler that works great but my LHS does not carry it.

I tried epoxy + microballons but it does not fill very well. An alternative is to brush on a thick brushable primer (I use Klass Kote) and then sand it down.

Thanks

kez

I tried Bondo and it was a lot of work without success. I sprayer Klass Kote primer but it took several coats and did the trick. Brushing rather than spraying maybe better. A friend of mine, who is the best builder I know, said to make grind the pin holes bigger and fill with Bondo.

I just fill with drywall mud and primer. Works for me and still looks good two years later

TL

There is a filler called "Icing" that works great! Its a two part filler like Bondo, but sands much easier and does fill those pinholes really good. Check your local auto parts store...

U-POL Liquid Gold Glazing Putty, found at Automotive Paint Stores and at sometimes at NAPA stores. This is the best stuff around it blows Evercoat Glazing Putty out of the water, you can spread it on a sheet of paper, let it dry and roll the paper up and it won't crack, very flexible won't shrink and can be used in cool temperatures. About $30 but worth every penny.

I've used the BVM filler and it works well.

Also use the Bondo avail. most anywhere thinned with acetone and brushed on, works great also and no problems with shrinkage! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Kez,

I'm doing an SS45 for a Friend - - most pin holed/cratered sucker the world has ever seen - - most frustrating. I filled the craters with microballoon Bob Smith epoxy glue, if you mix more microballoons into the mix, the lighter the mix will be. I then tried some Dolphin Glaze I bought at a local paint shop in Houston - they didn't stock the "Icing" RB told me to use - - looked like Bill Gibson liked it too. The Dolphin Glaze is a polyester based product - - I just don't like mixing polyester with epoxy glass hulls. This product mixed with a consistancy of Bondo - - not nearly as light and easy to sand as I was looking for. I didn't like the Dolphin Glaze. I finally mixed some talcum powder into some PPG two part epoxy primer, to a thick paste consistancy, and bushed it onto the SS45. This seemed to work well, filled the many pin holes, and sanded easily. I'll try this on a second cowl for my new 8255 WOF hull with epoxy glass cowls when we return to Tejas. CHEERS !!! Bob

I had/have some BVM.. was very dispointed..

I will have to give it another go but so far just good old Evercote or Dolphin glaze work better for me.

Grim

bondo and bondo glazing putty are not the same. The glazing putty has a much creamier texture and is not two part. It wet sands really well with 400 grit. It isn't hard at all.

Spackling works great,the only trick to it is after you start NEVER use thinner to wipe or you will wipe it off.Spread it on sand it off wife it and prime. I have boats 10 years old and this stuff wont fall out.

mike, after sanding, how do you wiFe it :rolleyes: :blink: :lol:
Mike has a nice helpful wife

Using the spackle is good it is easy to work with, spread and let dry then light sanding and a coat of primer or two should do it.

I just got some Icing glaze and it is alot smoother than bondo filler. Have not tried using in on bare epoxyglass yet but it should work. If you do have pinholes during the first coat of primer they will appear, I will spray extra primer on the area and using a finger squeegee the primer into the pin holes. sand that first coat smooth and reprime usally you are done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Liquid Gold and it sands easy. If you use a lacquer base filler and an epoxy paint over it, it could blister pending on the size of patch. Watched it happen years ago, Endura over lacquer primer and putty and once out in the sun what looked like a small blister turned out to be pulling paint off in sheets!!!!

I use the Liquid Gold and it sands easy. If you use a lacquer base filler and an epoxy paint over it, it could blister pending on the size of patch. Watched it happen years ago, Endura over lacquer primer and putty and once out in the sun what looked like a small blister turned out to be pulling paint off in sheets!!!!
Been there done that what a pain...

Spackle compound I found was also a pain.

I'll try the Byron stuff next.

Latest posts

Back