field equipment.what should i have or use?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HEY GUYS....I HAVE MY 1/8TH SCALE HYDROS NOW.I HAVE A PHIL THOMAS T5 BUD HULL AND A DUMAS CIRCUS CIRCUS BOTH POWERED BY AN OPS 11CC MOTOR.NOW I JUST NEED A LIST OF FIELD EQUIPMENT THAT I WILL NEED FOR A DAY AT THE LAKE.I AM NOT A RACER AT THIS TIME,BUT JUST A SPORT BOATER WHO REALLY DIGS THESE BOATS.SO IF YOU GUYS COULD HELP ME OUT WITH THE THINGS I WILL NEED SO WHEN I GET TO THE LAKE I AM NOT WASTING A GOOD DAY OF BOATING.I NEED EVERYTHING FROM A STARTER TO GLOW PLUGS IF YOU GET THE IDEA,I HAVE PURCHASED NOTHING YET,BUT DONT WANT TO FORGET ANYTHING.THANKS.

EZ Up Table bigger the better.Chairs cooler tool box trailer to load everything in small vise towels paper and rags chemicals cleaners after run oil fuel retrieve boat life jackects throw cushion fire extengisure.fishin pole small generator fan drill and bits dremel all hand tools it takes to work on boat.Plano boxes full of hardware.Battery charger ETC lol

EZ Up Table bigger the better.Chairs cooler tool box trailer to load everything in small vise towels paper and rags chemicals cleaners after run oil fuel retrieve boat life jackects throw cushion fire extengisure.fishin pole small generator fan drill and bits dremel all hand tools it takes to work on boat.Plano boxes full of hardware.Battery charger ETC lol
Or just find a friend going to the lake and ride with him...

I agree with Mike. Where abouts do you live? Best thing to do is join your local club and run with members from your club. There is just too much to try and learn on your own. Long and short is you will need the following:

Dynotron starter

Fuel (40% to 50% nitro and 18% oil)

Glow Plugs (cold-McCoy 9 or Odonell blues or #89) A couple a cards

Misc parts in case something breaks

wrenches and allen keys

shop towels

If you don't want to buy after run oil, use transmission fluid. Its a lot cheaper.

Glow igniter or two (back up if one dies)

Grease for the shaft or oil if your boats have shaft oilers

There is so much more, so just ask if your unsure.

Dave

The reason i say EZ Up first is to get out of the sun.The table second is because working off the ground is no fun.Chairs to take a load off and think things over.If your a sport boater dont need high nitro will cause you more headaches untill you learn the theory.These are the basic in my opinion.Anything you can do to make it easier on yourself will make it more enjoyable.If you have kids or a wife or girlfreand keeping them comfortable will make it easier.A cooler with ice and water are a must unless its cold out.Lots of preparation is the key.Charge batterys nite before check all hardware before leaving home.Make a mental note of things before leaving.Good radiobox tape is a must.Grease oil WD 40 alcohol towels after run oil is a must.I like a powerpanel setup some like glow plug ignitors.Take a full toolbox full of tools.Having spare parts like shear bolts for rudder extra battery or charger.Spare props.Unless your close to home or running in your backyard its like a picnic.Food or snacks also.After running always clean out the motor and cooling system.Flush out the water in the cooling system with a water displacement fluid.Have a good way to flush out the motor before leaving home.Do this at the water before leaving that way if something happens on the way home its covered.I also always untape the radiobox before i leave the water if theres a issue it needs looked at before corrosion sets in.No fun getting to the water and have to turn back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Mike. Where abouts do you live? Best thing to do is join your local club and run with members from your club. There is just too much to try and learn on your own. Long and short is you will need the following:

Dynotron starter

wrenches and allen keys

shop towels

If you don't want to buy after run oil, use transmission fluid. Its a lot cheaper.

Dave
i live in upstate NY...saratoga area...the problem is there is no clubs in this area and i have reached out on other forums as well and no one around here really runs boats...so i guess i am pretty much solo on this adventure,but these are the boats i want to run...so i am sure i will be asking alot more questions...thank you for a start.

i live in upstate NY...saratoga area...the problem is there is no clubs in this area and i have reached out on other forums as well and no one around here really runs boats...so i guess i am pretty much solo on this adventure,but these are the boats i want to run...so i am sure i will be asking alot more questions...thank you for a start.
If you are anywhere near any of these areas call them they will help you!

Southern Tier NY RC Model Boaters

Horseheads, New York

http://www.stnyrcmbc.com

President

Pete Forcier

797 Chambers Rd.

Horseheads, NY 14845

607-739-3451

[email protected]

Tell Pete that Ron Byrd sent you!

Chestnut Ridge Model Boat Club

Eden, New York

President

Timothy O'Connor

2249 Shadagee Road

Eden, NY 14057

(716) 627-1173

[email protected]

Western New York R/C Boat Racers

Buffalo, New York

President

Hank Pyrciak

187 Tracy Lane

Grand Island, NY 14072

716-773-9327

[email protected]

Good Luck!

Ron

Last edited:

Dynotron starter

wrenches and allen keys

shop towels

Dave
You really need to "buddy up" on the 1/8 scale- they're too much for most to launch one handed. I use a Dynatron starter W 2 ea 12V batteries in series (24V) to start all my boats. Spare starter belts seem to be a plus.

Glenn

Back