Ffire fighter gas rigger build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian dixon

Hello everyone this is my first post here. I just thought i would post up a few pics of where i am at with my build

The motor is a stock 260pum and i plan on running a 6717/3 prop. This is my second atempt at a boat as my last boat was stolen.

Let me know what you think any help or ideas is apreciated

Adrian

Got the hull painted now i am just waiting on my flex shaft and it will get its maiden voyage.

Can anyone tell me a starting point for pipe length? The setup is Zen 260 pum with a walbro 257 carby and a prop shop 6719/3. and where do i take the measurement for the pipe length from?

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good , if you need a cowl i make a nice one that fits that boat .

Keep up the good work

here are a few more pics, prety much finished now just need my flex cable.

PHM Racing, have you got any pics of your cowls fitted to a ffg rigger? I had a look on your website and couldnt see any. but i am definately interested in one of your cf cowls.

here are a few more pics, prety much finished now just need my flex cable.

PHM Racing, have you got any pics of your cowls fitted to a ffg rigger? I had a look on your website and couldnt see any. but i am definately interested in one of your cf cowls.

The cowl on my website will fit your boat , i only make 1 gas cowl

I also do a cowl that fits the Firefighter gas rigger if you're interested

Johno

I also do a cowl that fits the Firefighter gas rigger if you're interested
Johno

I might want one :)

I cant figure out how to make the purple one fit :(
Got ya covered Tom, no probs mate, shoot me a PM with your postal address. I sent you an email about it a few months ago but didn't hear anything back unless my email filter caught it for some reason. You be happy with a white one mate??

After seeing the cowl running in heat racing first hand this weekend I will be doing a few "minor tweaks" to the moulds in the coming weeks, but other than that it is good to go

You will also be very happy to know that Dave Gray from South Australia posted the fastest heat time in Open Petrol Hydro here in Australia (Battle of the Borders 08 @ Yarrawonga) with a Firefighter Gas Rigger with heat time of 1.12 and also came third in that class for the meet after 5 rounds. He drove really well. His rigger was built by Ken Retallick and was a very very well built, she turned alot of heads (mine included) that's for sure, great job on the build Ken.

Johno

Thanks for the kind words Johno. :)

Would have been great to get there myself, and meet up with ya again.

I heard Daves boat was running well, where planning on going to do some testing soon!

I got to do a few laps with it a month ago, very nice to drive!! Looks like Tom

has another winning hydro design!! well done!

Cant wait to get mine finished!!!

Boat looks amazing man, congrats! Ill be building a scaled up version soon for a 50cc blata :) let me know how she rides!

Woo Hoo! I can't wait to get mine finished... i'm real close! need to mount my rudder servo, seal and paint.... i hate to paint!

What props you guys running? I have no idea what to use....

Im getting so frustrated waiting for my flex cable to arrive. i just want to run my boat lol.

Has anyone got any pics of there turnfin? At the moment mine is just straight, dose it need to curve in towards the boat at the bottom ?

And has anyone got any tips for driving a rigger for the first time? Everyone who sees my boat asks me why dose it only have one turn fin and i say because its designed to turn one way only. is it possible to make left hand turns or will the boat just flip over?

Any help will be apreciated

thanks

Adrian

hello

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on seting up my rigger. for example strut depth (at the moment the centerline of the propshaft is level with the bottom of the rear sponsons)

Balance point (at the moment its somewhere near the turnfin havent actualy cheched it)

Im sure there is alot more things to take into consideration so if anyone has any tips or advice please let me know.

thanks

Adrian

Adrian leave the turn fin straigth for now, or maybe make two turn fins (straigth & bent) - to see the difference. It is possible to make left turns - just not so fast as right ones.

well i have had it wet a couple of times now and have had a few dramas.

First run i had made a small shroud over the carby but it was still sucking in water in the carby and stalling.

Second attempt i made a dodgy cover over the carby with an old juice container, this worked and i managed to get a few 5 minute runs.

Third attempt some water got under the tape that holds the radio box lid down and my reciever got wet so i dried it out and cleaned with some circuit board cleaner and it works fine again.. lucky

Fourth attempt the pull starter cord snapped.

Fith attempt was today, i made a new carby cover, fixed pull starter and also leaned out the low speed needle a bit witch made it rev a bit sweeter from idle. got a couple of 5 min runs speed is ok but it dosent seem to be reving right out. i am not sure if i have the pipe length right it is also a bit rich up high. it did stall a couple of times also. im not sure if it might have got a bit of water in the carb or if i got some interfearance and the failsafe kicked in.

I also noticed that it seems to hop a fair bit in the turns. it is fine on the straights but as soon as you start to turn it will start hopping.

I also lowered the prop a little to get the rear out of the water a bit as it seemed to be running a bit wet. so at the moment the prop is just below the sponsons.

here are some pics

Notice my custom airbox. carbon fiber cowl is on order from PHM racing.

The slowest retreival method ever.

in action.

Here is a link to a video my mate took on his phone. http://media.putfile.com/dicko-s-rigger

Quality is a bit low but it will give you a bit of an idea.

Back