FE 1/8th scale make it a legal class or not

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehe, not exactly, sounds good though.

Pagemaster said:
1. Any size of motor, any endbell, bearing, and magnet. With a max voltage per motor not exceeding 39 volts using the manufacturers stated voltage rating.
So on a twin motored system coupled to one main prop shaft can use two 39volt packs?

105028[/snapback]

So, I could run two 32 cell NIMH packs in parallel?

thanks,

Steve

brooks93 said:
you can parallel packs as long as each drive doesn't see more then 39 volts.
105034[/snapback]

brooks93 said:
Don not sure what your saying.. isn't that in the nitro rules also?
105029[/snapback]

Nope, no exclusion clauses regarding picture documentation. In the IMPBA by rulebook you're supposed to furnish specs & pic even when you first register the boat with your district scale director (IMPBA scale registration rules, section H, page 5).

Last edited by a moderator:
brooks93 said:
oh Don your refering to IMPBA..  in the NAMBA nitro rules it is there
105054[/snapback]

Doesn't matter in my opinion, why open that door? Keep it simple, you build it, you photo document it. Besides, how would one know what the boat is supposed to be modelled after without having a pic of it? :blink:

Hi guys

Just a little note before I begin, to take from one is plajourism but to take from a group is research <_<

I have been writing a set of suggested rules for your 1/8 scale fe scale and after seeing Kevin ideas I thought I would add to his format with my mix... :D

I have also been listening and ready most of the posts since I had my great experience at the Michigan Nats... :) and would be honored to do it again :D

If I am out of line don't crucify me just let me know :unsure:

And as a side note (I feel) all district and extended class rules should be equal or better than the int'n rules but not less... :)

FAST ELECTRIC SCALE UNLIMITED HYDROPLANE COMPETITION

GENERAL RULES

1. The Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules shall follow the

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules with the following exceptions:

2. Fast Electric Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules are intended as a supplement

to the General Powerboat Rules of Competition. In the case of a conflict, the Fast Electric

Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Racing Rules shall prevail.

RACE FORMAT

The winner for the event shall be the best points accumulated in four heats. Exception to this rule shall be running modified heats and rounds having a semi-main and main with a consolation heat after the first three rounds. The consolation heat shall be made up of the seventh to twelveth places ( the places from the 3 prior rounds ) if available. The winning boat shall transfer from the consolation heat to the main event with a maximum of seven boats per heat, this will be called the “love plan”. The overall places for the event will be the main event outcome. Any modification to this rule must be posted before the event or voted for by the entries at the event. One example for this change could be weather delays.

OFFICIAL COURSES

1) The course shall be defined and measured as follows:

a. The course shall be 1 mile in total length

b. There shall be a minimum of 4 (four) laps required in the total race distance for all classes

c. To certify the course for record events, the District Director (or his appointed alternate from the District in which the contest is held) must certify the course is 1 mile in total length at a specified lap count and that the device or devices used to time the race shall be capable of measuring the Race Time to the nearest 1/10th of a second. This course demintions will then be sent to the records chairman or his alternate. The score keeper shall have the official time of the winning boat with pit crews having backup times for each contestant.

2) The turns shall be clockwise and be defined as follows:

a. Turns 30 to 60 foot diameter and marked by a minimum of three (3) buoys. Larger diameter

turns shall have a minimum of 5 buoys and no turn larger than a 90 foot diameter.

b. Back straight buoys ( a minimum of two) shall be used to designate the back straight and on the front straight a buoy shall be set with a marked line to the starting judge to determine the start finish line.

c. Any other course can be used if approved by the race entries at the event, but no records can be set.

HULL SPECIFICATIONS

1. Referring to SUHRR Hull Specification rule number 6, replace "engine"with "motor", and ignore rule number 7.

2. The drive dog must not extend more than one drive dog length past the transom unless the real boat being modeled did and must be scaled accordingly.

MOTOR SPECIFICATIONS

1. Any amount and/or size of motors, any endbell, bearings, and magnet. With a max onboard voltage of 39 volts.

ANNUAL NAMBA FE NATIONALS

1. All Fast Eclectic Scale Unlimited Hydroplanes entered in concourse during the annual NAMBA Fast Electric Nationals must have a photograph showing the general configuration and paint scheme of the full sized boat being modeled. Failure to have picture shall disqualify the entrant in concourse only and will be allowed to race. Likewise any entry placed in concourse must race and at least finish a heat to keep placed earned in concourse. Any exceptions to this must be approved in writing by the National FE Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Chairman.

As a side note I would love someone to build Miss Texamo she had 3 outboards. :D

Dave Bestpitch B)

NAMBA 98

Don,

you have observed a Catch 22 situation. Photos are not required to build and race a scale boat, but it is obvious that photos help when questioned by a person in charge of the authentification of a boat at a race. Many people buy a scale boat and for some reason dont get pics with it. It just happens a lot.

The general scale rules say that photos can be used as a form of documentation.

What Kelly has printed is the NAMBA Nationals rule. It is in there for a couple of reasons. One would be if the boater travels across the country to a Nats and forgets his photo.

Districts do not have the same strictness in interpreting how exact a boat must be. That is usually based on boat count. Startup districts or districts with lower numbers are sometimes a little more lenient. If a boat runs all year in a district and goes to the Nats, it would not be too cool to tell him that he cant run just because it would not be okay in another district. That would be the other reason.

This rule is a last chance rule so to speak that puts the decision in the hands of the Scale Chairman and not on the Nats CD.

Since I started going to Nats in 1991, the Scale Unlimited Chairman has been to all of the Nats. Dont know about before then.

Which brings up another point that Kelly and I have talked about and I am sure it is on his list as he works on rules one at a time with everyone out here.

When questions arise, does scale go through the National Scale Chairman, the FE Chairman, or do we need another chairman position added, or does the FE Chairman and Scale Chairman appoint someone for that years Nats only if neither the Scale Chairman or FE Chairman can't be there? That decision will way heavily with the FE Chairmans opinion in my opinion.

There is no doubt that something needs to be decided upon as you point out, because this year will be the first time a Scale Chairman will make both Nats, and the rule was originally written with Nitro Nats in mind. I dont think that will happen every year on down the road.

......... a good start at local level would be for Terry Davis and Doug Robichaud

to pick a district scale chairman or if scale is not run in their district during the year, they would be the scale contact. They would then be listed in the Contact List page in the Master Hull Roster on the NAMBA web site.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Don,

I have a question............ what does IMPBA do when a boater supplys a pic and the pic matches the boat but you know that it is not the correct color. He is authenticating it with the photo. I know that you are going to tell me about your Winston but I do not know the outcome.

We had a big time problem over the years with this boat.

http://www.namba19.com/un_registry/Dand%20M%20U4.jpg

What you see are the correct colors but we have also seen black, shades of blue, and different shades of golds.

Makes it difficult on race day morning when a new boater shows up. We want the guy to run but then there are rules. Thanks,

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

Al Waters said:
Don,I have a question............ what does IMPBA do when a boater supplys a pic and the pic matches the boat but you know that it is not the correct color. He is authenticating it with the photo. I know that you are going to tell me about your Winston but I do not know the outcome.

We had a big time problem over the years with this boat.

http://www.namba19.com/un_registry/Dand%20M%20U4.jpg

What you see are the correct colors but we have also seen black, shades of blue, and different shades of golds.

Makes it difficult on race day morning when a new boater shows up. We want the guy to run but then there are rules. Thanks,

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

105075[/snapback]

Well I think you always will be faced with those who skirt/flirt with the rules. I don't believe in breaking out a "chip chart" to start matching paint plus as we all know the real boats changed from race to race, including color shades. If the colors match the photo I say let it run, unless you know for a FACT it was not those colors & the pic was altered. :blink:

Al Waters said:
When questions arise, does scale go through the National Scale Chairman, the FE Chairman, or do we need another chairman position added, or does the FE Chairman and Scale Chairman appoint someone for that years Nats only if neither the Scale Chairman or FE Chairman can't be there? That decision will way heavily with the FE Chairmans opinion in my opinion.

......... a good start at local level would be for Terry Davis and Doug Robichaud

to pick a district scale chairman or if scale is not run in their district during the year, they would be the scale contact. They would then be listed in the Contact List page in the Master Hull Roster on the NAMBA web site.

105073[/snapback]

First,

Zero offense to our FE Chairman or any future FE Chairman but I would be surprised if he has very much experience with Scale. Up until this thread there really was no "scale" FE so the chairman is not likely to be well versed.

This may well need to be addressed in any potential NATS section in the rule book. My opinion is that the power parameters be the jurisdiction of the FE Chairman and that the "scale" aspects be defered to the Scale Chairman. Would that need to be written into the FE scale rules?

Second,

The problem with having Doug and I listed as district Scale Chairs is that we know jack squat about nitro. If asked I'd hate for the answer to a question be "I gots no clue"

Don't forget about the motor or motor(s) designation. Like Dave B mentioned on the Texmo 3 O/Bs. Also there were twin-motor inline powered Unlimiteds most were mated to one shaft. I see no reason why someone couldn't run a twin motored geared to one shaft type setup. Why not allow it as long as it runs within the alloted cell requirements.

Having a book of Paint chips is getting a little extreme. Hull Colors should be as close to original match as possible.

Cool we have a revised drive-dog rule(gray area). Wow that was adopted fast?

Terry,

very rarely does anybody know their position as a chairman (or a District Director) until they get in to the job. They are selected because they come across as the kind of person who has the integrity, incentive, or willingness to do the job.

I knew very little as a Scale Chairman when I started. There are many more people who know more than me to this day about scale. What I do, is try and do things to make it better, get involved, and be there for people when they need help.

You dont need a Scale Chairman in your district and neither does Doug R., but you guys should be listed in the Master Hull Roster as the District "CONTACT" so that anyone in your area who goes to the MHR and wants to inquire about scale, can contact you so that you can refer them in the appropriate direction.

FE Scale would fall under FE and Doug T. would be the contact. He could make the call or he would know who to contact if he felt it necessary. If a Nats was held and you didnt have Dave B. or Doug T. or myself, you still have the Contest Director of the event. Many times Terry and I talked about what should we do about situations at the Nats. I am sure that he did decision making with his committee. Concourse for Sport was done with a committee. Even a Drivers Rep committee was formed and I think that is a great idea for any event.

The above is not something that needs to be written in the rules.

I will give you an example. The upcoming Nitro Nats. Something comes up. I may be the VP of NAMBA and the Scale Chairman but Rags Grenier is the Contest Director. He is the boss. If he wants my assistance that either position would call for, he can ask for my help and I would be there for him. But I would never intervene. The CD is numero uno. It is his race and I am a contestant. But I would be there if he needed me. I think that the only time I have seen a NAMBA Prez or VP butt in is when it affected safety or records.

Ken,

the Texmo is an easy one. Rule 8 and 9 page 65 for nitro scale. A lot of people ask about the Texmo but I ask why worry about a boat that to my knowledge no one has built. Probably because it is not practical in Scale Unlimited racing applications. They just like to talk about it as an example. I interpret the rule that it has to be built with the same number of props and racing configuration as the real boat.

When these rules are drawn with the diverse suggestions that are coming up, a decision will have to be made. Excluding power requirements and some obvious things applicable to FE, will these rules be replica of current Scale Unlimited, stand alone and proprietary to FE requests, or in combination with IMPBA Scale rules to allow for cross racing.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

Al Waters said:
......... a good start at local level would be for Terry Davis and Doug Robichaudto pick a district scale chairman or if scale is not run in their district during the year, they would be the scale contact. They would then be listed in the Contact List page in the Master Hull Roster on the NAMBA web site.

Al Waters

105073[/snapback]

Another idea: a permanent NAMBA FE Rules Committee. One representative from each district that has an active FE program with the FE Chair presiding or watching over that committee. Cap it at 5 members if we move FE into more than 5 districts.

They could be volunteers or be appointed from the ranks of an active club.

Scale could be an assigned area of responsibility of 1 or 2 members of that committee. Others could watch over and bring disputes to the attention of the committee in the areas of Sport Hydro, Offshore etc.

drobie said:
Al Waters said:
......... a good start at local level would be for Terry Davis and Doug Robichaudto pick a district scale chairman or if scale is not run in their district during the year, they would be the scale contact. They would then be listed in the Contact List page in the Master Hull Roster on the NAMBA web site.

Al Waters

105073[/snapback]

Another idea: a permanent NAMBA FE Rules Committee. One representative from each district that has an active FE program with the FE Chair presiding or watching over that committee. Cap it at 5 members if we move FE into more than 5 districts.

They could be volunteers or be appointed from the ranks of an active club.

Scale could be an assigned area of responsibility of 1 or 2 members of that committee. Others could watch over and bring disputes to the attention of the committee in the areas of Sport Hydro, Offshore etc.

105510[/snapback]

.........with the requirement that they all have to write articles for the NAMBA Propwash. :D

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

Al Waters said:
.........with the requirement that they all have to write articles for the NAMBA Propwash. :D Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

105533[/snapback]

Been there, done that. :D

I have just sat here and read all 22 pages that everyone has written. I used to race 1/8th

Scale nitro in the mid 80's until the mid 90's. Scratch built, no kits. I left RC boat racing

becasue the hassle exceeded the pleasure derived. I Love scale hydros but is the expense

and complication, rules and confusion woth it to race again?

I started back in FE boating a few two years ago. Nothing has really changed, clubs are

clubs, rules and committies. It is why I have not started racing FE boats.

I think I will stick with designing and running for fun for the time being.

David

Back