Face Cut props that are B/S

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

I bought an X-447 prop that the guy said was B/S but it looks like most of the balancing came on the face?? I was always told to never touch the front of a prop.

Also, last week at a race a frined was running a prop with the same trick. I asked him what's up with that? and he said that's how they come for $75!

Any word on this?? :huh:

I hope that he had a cigarette after the ****ing that he got! :blink: Andy's props aren't that expensive and he knows what he's doing!

So, how'd it run?

Rod,

You can take weight off the front of the prop by thinning the blade, but I never take it off the face of the blade, I take it off the back of the blade, the prop enters the water more smoothly, less resistance. I do it to some of my props. For $75 bucks a prop, I hope they come with a jar of vaseline! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I couln't imagine charging someone $75 to do a prop, my concience would not allow it. :eek: :eek: :eek: That is a ripp off. :angry:

I hope I'm taking about the same mod to the prop as what you're talking about. Or are you talking about a Texas cut?

My nickels worth. ;)

Bill

ps Rod you want me to do one for you, send me the prop, I'll do it no charge, pay the shipping back. Just tell me what you want, texas cut or thinning, or both on the same prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodney,

You can take material off of the face of the blade as long as you know what

it does. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have tried different things on the

face of the propeller. It takes awhile to learn just what the face is designed

for. As far as your friend goes, it sounds like he was TAKEN BIG TIME!!! I

would never charge someone that much unless it was a GOLD PROPELLER.

Thanks, :)

Mark Sholund

Bill,

If you just take a little of the material off the face nothing really changes.

You can adjust the acceleration rate a little, and a few more things like lift

and thrust cone adjustment. You really need to try different things and see

what it does for your setup. I think the biggest changes to the propellers

that we run, are done on the trailing edge. I really don't think you will find

much more SPEED on the face of the blade though. Good Luck and have

FUN TESTING,as this is the best way to find that PERFORMANCE EDGE. I can't

tell you all my tricks,SORRY!

Thanks, :)

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

Mark,

Thanks. I like trying new stuff out, never know! ;) Out of curiosity, are you in NAMBA?

Rod,

Any time. Just send it with a note. ;)

Bill

Bill H.

Ask Me about props at the St. Louis race. I've learned a few things in the last 5 yr or so about "facing", etc. Since I always race my good props I can show you what I do to them. B)

Rich

Bill,

No, I am in IMPBA, member for 16 years Bill. I live in the Midwest.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Removing material from the concaved side is not something I would ever recommend. I am no prop guru BTW and from what I do know about props, you should not modify the concaved side other than lightly sanding the surface for additional grip if you'd like.

Most, if not all the work should be done on the convected side, the tongue, trailing edge, and leading edge.

What one pays for a prop is something between the seller and buyer. However, $75 sounds a little high, especially one that didn't work. I use to sell and modify a couple myself and the most exspensive modified one I ever sold was in the lower $50 range. I averaged $35-45 for modified and $22.50-50 for stock props with Prop Shop Props costing the most.

I have since transfered all my prop sales to Rick Maston of Maston's Marine. For those that know Rick know's he's an upfront and awesome guy to deal with, for those that don't know him, he's an awesome guy to deal with.....

Thanks Rich,

Will do. See you in St. Louis. ;)

Mark,

Have you raced in Colemans' race. I go there every year to the Snow Bowl Race. Maybe I'll ge a chance to meet you there. I'll also be going to the Mendota race and the Nats in Jackson. I'm going to try for the Illini race also if I can.

I live in Colorado, 25 yrs, grew up in Minnesota.

Bill

Back