Extended rudder on scale, pulls right and cant get the throw right, Help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBlaster

OK I have a rudder on a PT T5 Scale and I'm wondering what should I do. It would go fast on pipe and it pulls right and I'm giving left to keep straight. Would a rudder extended off the boat more give bad turning? Should I take the throw out since it is extended. My Brother scale has a rudder close to the boat and can turn fine. I don't know really what to do..

OK I have a rudder on a PT T5 Scale and I'm wondering what should I do. It would go fast on pipe and it pulls right and I'm giving left to keep straight. Would a rudder extended off the boat more give bad turning? Should I take the throw out since it is extended. My Brother scale has a rudder close to the boat and can turn fine. I don't know really what to do..
Get one of those scale guys in Evansville to help you align it. Mike or Brian.

Jason,

Here are a few things to check. First check the skid fin alignment to be parallel with the centerline of the hull. I usually use a 4 foot piece of aluminum angle clamped (centered on the skid fin)to the inside surface of the skid fin. Then measure both ends to the inside of the bottom of the opposing sponson wall. The measurement should be close to the same if the skid fin is straight. Do the same for the strut. Clamp the aluminum angle to the strut and check the measurement.

If those two alignments are straight. Then try a different prop. A dull or bent blade or will cause tracking issues.

Bert Dygert

Bert is bang on ! Make sure all of your lines are perpendicular with each other. turn fine, rudder and drive line. I first test without a turn fin to make sure drive line and rudder are straight. Then add turn fin if it starts to act up you know its a turn fin issue. Just have a big pond, its not going to turn much without a fin.

Bert is bang on ! Make sure all of your lines are perpendicular with each other. turn fine, rudder and drive line. I first test without a turn fin to make sure drive line and rudder are straight. Then add turn fin if it starts to act up you know its a turn fin issue. Just have a big pond, its not going to turn much without a fin.
Shouldn't you be working? I'm calling Bonnie.

I've found that any flex in the linkage or movement of the servo in the box, or box in the boat if you are using rubber bands to hold it in can cause this. the rudder has a lot of force on it at speed trying to turn it right. If the linkage & servo can't deal with this then the boat will pull. You have to steer left to take up the slop.

I've found that any flex in the linkage or movement of the servo in the box, or box in the boat if you are using rubber bands to hold it in can cause this. the rudder has a lot of force on it at speed trying to turn it right. If the linkage & servo can't deal with this then the boat will pull. You have to steer left to take up the slop.
That is a great thought Jeff

Back