Exhaust set up question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Johnstone

Hi, just wondering if it matters how close the exhaust header is to the actual pipe? By this I mean should the pipe be almost touching the header, a certain distance away, is there a distance that is too far away? Just wasn't sure how much an affect it would have going from header (metal) / silicon header / metal exhaust pipe as I know some exhaust set ups can be affected by this, not sure on these engines though. Thanks

wayne to be honest ive never seen it different either way...but i do try to keep the pipe and header together if the length is feasible for the engine performance....the main reason i do is to keep coupler burn downs to a minimum...if you have a quality coupler it wont matter one bit...getting pipe length correct for your setup is more crucial than the gap between the header and pipe...

alden

A small gap is a good idea to keep the header and pipe from touching and mushrooming the ends. On some setups you can put the header inside the pipe as long as it does not go past the straight section of the pipe. We try to keep about 1/8 of an inch apart. As Alden said though the length is the important part.

A good point to mention is that if you have any bend in the coupler, without metal inside (pipe or header) the coupler will definitely burn out fast. The gap should be straight.. the heat, blasting straight on the coupler as it does in a curve is a bad thing. of the gap is straight the coupler should last a long time,.

Latest posts

Back