Ever Tried an Engine Heater on a marine engine?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Sorgente

Supporting Member
Has anyone ever tried an engine heater on a marine engine? I know the car guys usually put these on the big air cooled heads to pre heat their motors before racing. Just wasn't sure if they would fit a marine engine with a water jacket like a 21 or a 45.

I like to get the motor hot before I after run it to help the oil make it into every little cavity inside. I thought instead of running it, maybe I could just get an engine heater and hook it up to the 12 volt battery in my field box. It could also help with break in and pre heating on a cold day.

Anyone ever try one?

Thanks,

Brian

I would like to know as well how small you can tighten up those engine heater sleeves. I would like to try one on my .12 engine but I figured there is no way it would snug up to the cylinder. But I have never seen one in person to say for sure.

I would like to know as well how small you can tighten up those engine heater sleeves. I would like to try one on my .12 engine but I figured there is no way it would snug up to the cylinder. But I have never seen one in person to say for sure.
brian, in a pinch use tin foil to take up the slop on the .12 motors.thats what i do on my .12 touring car engines.mike.

Hi Brian,

I have tried an engine heater (my friend's) for my Novarossi 21DD when I broke it in. It helped a lot start the tight engine easily after preheating for a couple of minutes.

Toru

I took apart one of these Shark Steam cleaners and attached the output to the cooling jacket for breaking in new motors on the bench. A couple a cycles over several minutes heats up the entire motor to about 180F. Makes them easy to start during break in. Especially nice for the tight small motors.

shark-sc7101.jpg

Thanks guys, I think I might give one a shot. I'm glad to hear others have had good luck with them.

Tyler thats an awesome idea. You can break your motor in and steam clean your pit table while your at it.

Thanks,

Brian

Very creative Tyler. I also think you have a great idea with the tin foil filling the void Michael.

Engine pre-heating is something i would like to play with when i find the time.

I would like to see how tight a fit piston liner can be used. one thats a bit too tight for starting cold. Formula 1 engines are build to such tight tolerances they dont start them until they are pre warmed. May be something in it powerwise.

I have heard the engine heaters will use up a lot of amps so you need a decent size lipo or whatever you power it with. Like 5000mah or so.

Latest posts

Back