30% heli fuel in marine glow engines?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kurtz

Being a heli guy with a ton of 30% heli glow fuel is it feasible to run it in these marine engines if I'm not competing, just wanting to mess around with some nitro engines in boats?
I got the boat bug again and thought I might put together a nitro hull if I could run the 30% heli fuel I already have. I really don't want to have to buy yet another expensive fuel.

I'm thinking something in the larger sizes like .60 and above if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance, I've searched and haven't found any answers really.

I think it will work fine. Most if not all modern marine engines are designed to run on 20 to 30%. Those of us that run higher nitro for racing have to change the factory head clearance setting to accommodate the higher nitro percentage.

i had a tunnell boat with a kb 7.5 red head pro, just started racing boats and back then had no connections for fuel except for the local hobby shop, highest nitro they had was 30% heli fuel. i ran this fuel for years, smoked a bit but ran well. as you said you are not going to competitive race it so this fuel will be fine

I tried it once, in a NR 21. It was a new, just out of the box engine and we almost didn't get it to start. Not sure if it was the 30% oil or too low of nitro content for a marine 21, just didn't seem to want to run. I'd bet some 50% would have been better for that small engine.

Ifmar nitro onroad fuel is 16%, nitro off-road is 30% oil as low as 5%. Heli is typical 30% and volatile oil around 18%. Many are running car engines in boats with head clearance adjustments. Short answer ,it will be fine.

I think the 30% nitro I have is Cool Power with at least 18 to 22 percent oil if I remember right. I would think it should run ok.

Instead of burning 60% fuel to run in motors on my test stand I've been using some 30% Morgan and 35% Sig.

The Sig is perfect for those first couple gallons as it has 20% oil, 1/2 castor and half Klotz techniplate.

It runs fine, you just have to lean down from the 60%. 😁

Last edited:
Being a heli guy with a ton of 30% heli glow fuel is it feasible to run it in these marine engines if I'm not competing, just wanting to mess around with some nitro engines in boats?
I got the boat bug again and thought I might put together a nitro hull if I could run the 30% heli fuel I already have. I really don't want to have to buy yet another expensive fuel.

I'm thinking something in the larger sizes like .60 and above if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance, I've searched and haven't found any answers really.
Should run great!.. Use it!

Grim

Heli engines are high stress kinda like a marine engine so they need plenty of oil too. Most heli fuel in 30% nitro would be a very similar mix for marine use.

Back