ESC burnt up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt Barney

Vendor
I burnt up my Castle 6S to a crisp, need to know what I did wrong

Boat UL-1

Motor 1515 1Y

prop ABC 1515 17* rake

Battery 1 6S 3200mah 40C

Ran two laps with a Octura M445 then changed to the ABC 1515 props, then ran 1 lap and it stopped and started burning, the only thing that burnt was the ESC. Boat, motor and battery are OK. Did I just have to much prop with the ABC 1515 and draw to many amps??

Thanks

Walt Barney

Walt,

That is a little on the hot side using a 2200kv motor on 6S. However it should have no problem spinning a 1515 or M445 assuming sufficient cooling.

Which Castle ESC and if it has logging have you tried to pull the data off it?

TG

Walt,

That is a little on the hot side using a 2200kv motor on 6S. However it should have no problem spinning a 1515 or M445 assuming sufficient cooling.

Which Castle ESC and if it has logging have you tried to pull the data off it?

TG
the Castle Mamba 2 CSE 010-0108-00 I do not know how to pull logging off the Castle,if it even has this function. This is my 1st attempt at electric boats just to play with in a small pond in the condo park

Walt Barney

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Tyler said 6S on a 2200kv motor is a bit on the hot side, that's more like a 4S motor, 5S would be the max but be careful on prop choice.

2200KV X 22.2 volts = 48,800 rpm times the pitch of the M445 or the 1515 is roughly 85 mph.

I'm not sure but wouldn't 60 - 65 mph be more realistic for the UL-1 hull? If so, an X437/3 should do the trick.

Or drop to 4S as Don suggested.

Walt,

Your Castle has a data logging feature. When you get down this way I will be happy to show you how it works. Sounds like you made a classic FE no no. The 1515 1Y is best at 4S where it runs in the 28-30,000 range loaded. Going to 6S you get into the 40,000 range which effectively you have just geared up significantly. Now driveline and prop loads go up exponentially. As Andy calculated you needed a much smaller prop. You got by with the 445 but may have weakened the ESC where the 1515 prop just finished it off. Your data logger would have shown the temp increase and a steeper curve getting there.

Mic

Walt,

The 1515 = 38 mm diameter by 57 mm of pitch

The M-445 = 45 mm diameter by 63 mm of pitch

I doubt the 1515 did the damage? Get a new ESC

and see how the 1515 works. It should be a good

set up. Was the boat pretty fast with both propellers?

Let Us Know Please,

Mark Sholund

Other things to consider: You are drawing allot of current out of a 40C 3200 mah battery pack. (3.200 x 40 = 128 amps if the packs truly perform as rated) Bet you were drawing allot more than that. I wonder if ripple current killed it. Were you using a cap bank and how long are your wire runs. What connectors were you using? Was there any water in the boat from the previous runs? Castle controllers don't like to get wet. Lots of way to burn up a ESC and I've done them all...
default_smile.png

Other things to consider: You are drawing allot of current out of a 40C 3200 mah battery pack. (3.200 x 40 = 128 amps if the packs truly perform as rated) Bet you were drawing allot more than that. I wonder if ripple current killed it. Were you using a cap bank and how long are your wire runs. What connectors were you using? Was there any water in the boat from the previous runs? Castle controllers don't like to get wet. Lots of way to burn up a ESC and I've done them all...
default_smile.png
Chilli,

The connectors are the new Traxxas and the wire length is 4.5" long cannot run shorter wire do the position of the battery,don;t know what a cap bank is just used the ESC as it came from a mfg. Ran this ESC last year on 3S with no problems but need to go faster, and the ESC said it could handle 6S. Looks like I have a lot to learn. I can go back to 4S. Now I need to order another ESC and decide what to order. Will consider all suggestions on a new ESC.

Thanks

Walt Barney

Walt,

Your Castle has a data logging feature. When you get down this way I will be happy to show you how it works. Sounds like you made a classic FE no no. The 1515 1Y is best at 4S where it runs in the 28-30,000 range loaded. Going to 6S you get into the 40,000 range which effectively you have just geared up significantly. Now driveline and prop loads go up exponentially. As Andy calculated you needed a much smaller prop. You got by with the 445 but may have weakened the ESC where the 1515 prop just finished it off. Your data logger would have shown the temp increase and a steeper curve getting there.

Mic
Mic,

I am in Fl. again and the ESC is junk so cannot get the info off of the ESC, if I go to a Castle ICE 240 or a TrinityT180 do I need to program them or can I do this from the Transmitter. I will be at the pond on Sunday.

Thanks

Walt Barney

Walt,

I'll give you a call. I have program cards for the T-180 and of course Castle and Swordfish. The T-180 is probably the best value and will work well with your 1515.

Mic

Walt,

I'll give you a call. I have program cards for the T-180 and of course Castle and Swordfish. The T-180 is probably the best value and will work well with your 1515.

Mic
Mic

I will order the t180. Hope it comes in within a week or so. Will let you know when it comes in

Thanks,

Walt Barney

4.5 inches isnt bad for a wire length but I cant find a amp rating for the Traxxas connectors. Ive seen some post estimates as high as 100 amps which is inadequate for your needs (increasing resistance which stresses the controller). Switch over to a minimum 5.5mm bullets with the new controller.

The topic always shifts to 5.5s and as good as they are.. we have (or had) proven that the Deans are just as good (in some cases better) as long as you leave the shrink off the solder tabs... (no body will believe me and I no longer have access to that data, but OK).

We also tested Traxxas and they were not as good as the Deans. For what that's worth.

Rock on!

Grim

You guys are so PC sometimes. Walt's a smart guy. Just tell him. hahaha

A 1515/1y is way to hot for a 6s boat. Unless you're making SAW passes with a SAW friendly boat. Not many passes in a row either. It's going to heat quickly.

If Andy's speed calculation is close (sounds about right to me) the UL1 will take flight. It's not going to be real happy past 60. At 80+?.................upon re-connection with earths surface it will become 1000 tiny little pieces.

The topic always shifts to 5.5s and as good as they are.. we have (or had) proven that the Deans are just as good (in some cases better) as long as you leave the shrink off the solder tabs... (no body will believe me and I no longer have access to that data, but OK).

We also tested Traxxas and they were not as good as the Deans. For what that's worth.

Rock on!

Grim
You have to give us more details before I buy into that Grim. What was the amp draw of the application? Do you have to leave the the shrink off the solder tabs to prevent the tabs from getting so hot that the solder melts?

You guys are so PC sometimes. Walt's a smart guy. Just tell him. hahaha

A 1515/1y is way to hot for a 6s boat. Unless you're making SAW passes with a SAW friendly boat. Not many passes in a row either. It's going to heat quickly.

If Andy's speed calculation is close (sounds about right to me) the UL1 will take flight. It's not going to be real happy past 60. At 80+?.................upon re-connection with earths surface it will become 1000 tiny little pieces.
Terry,

I know the 15151y is to much motor for the UL 1 but have used it for the last year with 3Sin parallel and can run about 52 -55 mph was just trying to faster as we race Electric boats in our condo's small pond and so far I have only been beat by a Traxxas v Hull running 3S in series once, and if I can get about 5mph I will win again, O by the way there are no rules, race what you bring, but no nitro or gas because of the noise. It is a drivers race course because the pond is not very big, I can open up the boat on the front and back of the course. We race the last Fri of every month but can practice anytime, the whole park turns out for this party, and betting is allowed, every time I win the guy who has won the money gives me a bottle of GOOD wine.

Walt Barney

P S You are correct about the boat breaking up when it crashes as it now is held togather with epoxy and tape with about 2 oz of lead on the tip of each sponson, I also have a back up U L 1 when this one can no longer stay togather.

Latest posts

Back