epoxy question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigged

Im picking up a boat that had already started being sealed with west system epoxy. The boat needs to be sanded down one more time and final coat put on... can it have the final coat done with MAS epoxy, or do i have to stick with the west system?

Last edited by a moderator:
epoxy over epoxy is ok
ok great...so there shouldnt be any issues? I want to keep the boat the wood grain as well, will it have any weird coloring effects putting one epoxy over the other epoxy?

I do not want to paint the boat. This is what it looks like in its current stage...i want to keep the wood appearance unless using the different epoxy is gonna discolor it, then i will just end up painting it.

111kn7t.jpg

The reason for getting the MAS is Brian Blazer has it, and will be bringing me a kit to the spring nats, so i can save on shipping over buying whatever west system online.

I know nothing about doing this..this is why im asking.

I've used West Systems for many years and early last year decided to give the MAS a try.........won't do that again. I was really surprised how easily the MAS epoxy discolored on a couple boat engine wells when it got exposed to fuel. Granted we a talking high nitro content fuel but like Mikey said, why risk it. While it might work well for others I personally did not like it, which was disappointing as I do like the mix ratio they use and that the containers are clear so you can see how much you have left. I also tried to do a repair over West Systems with MAS and it did not hold up, wound up re-doing it with West. For me the West Systems is still hands down the best I've used and you should be able to purchase it locally at any decent marine supply store. Go to http://www.westsystem.com and click on "where to buy" and type in your zip code to find a local dealer. B)

I've used West Systems for many years and early last year decided to give the MAS a try.........won't do that again. I was really surprised how easily the MAS epoxy discolored on a couple boat engine wells when it got exposed to fuel. Granted we a talking high nitro content fuel but like Mikey said, why risk it. While it might work well for others I personally did not like it, which was disappointing as I do like the mix ratio they use and that the containers are clear so you can see how much you have left. I also tried to do a repair over West Systems with MAS and it did not hold up, wound up re-doing it with West. For me the West Systems is still hands down the best I've used and you should be able to purchase it locally at any decent marine supply store. Go to http://www.westsystem.com and click on "where to buy" and type in your zip code to find a local dealer. B)

Try Rick at Mastons Marine:

http://www.mastonsrcmarine.com/Page4.html

Yeah, unfortunately there is no place even remotely close to me. I hate to spend $60+ bucks when i only need enough for 1 more coat to be done with the boat. How about bringing me some to the race, Don? :lol: :p

Yeah, unfortunately there is no place even remotely close to me. I hate to spend $60+ bucks when i only need enough for 1 more coat to be done with the boat. How about bringing me some to the race, Don? :lol: :p
Let me double check how much I have, might have to go pick some up myself (5 minutes away :p ) to bring some down for you.

will i have some i will bring it with me

Let me double check how much I have, might have to go pick some up myself (5 minutes away :p ) to bring some down for you.
Thanks Don. Todd just told me he has some hes gonna bring me.

Not a problem either way as I still owe you a favor.......... :)

Not a problem either way as I still owe you a favor.......... :)
No favor owed. You helped me plenty getting that KaBoom 67 in my old cat running right :lol:

But whats funny is...im actually back to running quicksilver for breaking in new rings LOL!

I dont seem to have the problem with the MAS discoloring but the West turning color like when the hardner gets older it turns a dark amber red.Most epoxys i used will yellow or get uv damage and start discoloring.Must of the time it turns darker but i dont mind that as it gives the wood a warmer look.Will you wont need a large kit but just a little bit.Maybe someone close has some thin epoxy for sealing that could help you out.I will chat at you later.

Add a coat of automotive clear to keep the epoxy from discoloroing.

You never need to thin epoxy. Apply directly and sqeegee off with a playing card. When dry scrape with a razor blade.

Preston,

Tell me more about this razor blade technique. Why and how. I have little experience with epoxy top coats and have seen Neil LaGarry's Miss Unlimited Pics and it looks like he was using a blade also????

Raymond

Latest posts

Back