engine starter battery

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460_f100_dude

can i use a car battery or boat battery (real boat) to power my rc boats starter or do i have to lug around that battery designed for it, THanks darren

You could use a car or boat battery but they are heavier than what you need. A 12v gel cell or a motor cycle battery is smaller / lighter andup to the job.

Actually, a car battery would probably work better. Most people lug around the little gel cell for the convience it provides. If your car (or boat) battery is easily accessible, use it.

I have a 7 amp and 14 amp Gel cell battery, I use them both for 24 volt starting, for 12 volt only, i have it off the 14 amp one. There a real nice battery and holds a charge a long time.

its smaller and lighter than hauling a car battery.

remember theres NOOOOOO acid to spill with a gelcell battery.

accendents doooo happen with acid batteries.

NT

If you want batteries that are convenient to bring check out 12v 20 amps motorcycle or jetski batteries but if you don't want to spend for them you can use what you have.

The motorcycle batteries for r/c can't handle the daily charging required and often drains the cells to fast.

Try two heavy duty gell cells. Mine have lasted forever. Just make sure you get a 24 volt starter.

Yes a 12 volt car or boat battery will work fine. If you plan on running boats much though ,do yourself a favor and get 2ea. 12 volt 7 amp hour gel cells. You should be able to get them at any good hobby store. As far as the starter I have found that the good old 12 volt Sullivan starter works great on 24 volts. I start everything from 3.5 to one cubes on a standard Sullivan with 24 volts. The weak link in the starter is the switch I have replaced the switch with a pushbutton starter switch purchased from an auto parts store. We use this setup in rather hard racing use and they last for years. THe trick with gel cells is to use a good charger and keep them on a float charger when not in use.

FYI...you can get the same PowerSonic 12V - 7Ah battery considerably cheaper at a farm and ranch supply store. They are used for electric fences and deer feeders.

hmm, we have stores called "farm stores". they all seem to be run by Pakistanis with funny accents. and they have lots of beer and lottery tickets. would that be the place you're talking about PJ? ;D

LOL!! I'm thinking.....no. Around here we have Tractor Supply Warehouse and McCoy's Builders. You might also try a feed store or someplace that sells fence.

Latest posts

Back