Engine for Hammerhead .12

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry TopFuel,

Hammer and I got SideTracked there for a moment!!!! From 12's to 21's

All of this should have been in O.S. TEC QUESTIONS !!!!

Craig,

Wow, balanced props! :p I just tried heat treating a 2267 and V967/3 for the rigger and will run them this weekend. I hope they survive! : :)

I also have some H-50's to heat treat and try (Thanks dale! ;D )

Ian.

Waterbug,

That may work. The readout is not waterproof tho, so you will have to put it in a balloon or something. I put mine in the radio box and have a clear lid on the box so I can read it.

Ian.

THANKS NITRO,

On the propshaft i figured it would be harder to rig and cause some drag with the pickup in the water. Now all i need to do is figure how to adapt it to the outboard!! maybe in the pin hole of the flywheel ?? the problem will be getting enough magnet in there to trip the sensor . I could use your method of glueing a magnet on one side and maybe a BB on the other.

Waterbug,

I'm not sure what you are getting at, but the collar with the magnet should go near the motor in the boat for an inboard boat. Oustide or under the boat in the water flow would be bad!

I don't know which outboard you mean, but for example the 21 K&B would be easy to adapt. Drill a hole in the back face of the flywheel and glue a magnet in. A neodynium iron boron magnet would be strong enough even as a very small magnet. You could balance the flywheel by drilling two shallow holes either side of the magnet until the flywheel is balanced.

You could make a mount for the pick-up off the mounting lugs on the case of the motor.

Ian.

NITRO ,

Earler I thought the 5mm shaft was the prop shaft . I understand . As for the outboards most have a hole drilled in them to put a metal pin or awl in to hold the flywheel while you tighten the flywheel nut.

THANKS FOR THE HELP

;D

Quote from Hammer, "All this talk about engines, hmmmmm! this is what I say. I'm not here to discourage anyone by limiting the boat to a mere few possibilities for engines. I say....Use what you want. I use a twelve and the boat was designed for it. But.... What the heck. One of the main purposes other than the response for making this rigger available is, getting you involved. If you want to run a .18, .15, .21, .12, Have at it. Use what you got. As for now keep the priority to getting yourself on the water. There is always time to get the engine of your dreams whenever your ready."

Thanks Hammer, I think that I will work towards getting the most out of the Pro .15 for awhile longer. When it can give no more, or it does the hand grenade trick, I will move up to an engine more suited to this type of boat.

Thanks to all of you that have offered suggestions or comments. It's guys like you that make this board what it is, a great place to learn and have fun.

Back