Engine compartment coating

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Staus

I'm building a Seaducer and was wondering if anybody coats the in side of the boat's floor for easier clean up? What would you use to not add much weight and smooth out the floor.

Alan

IMO, I wouldn't coat the inside of the hull with anything. I spray mine out with Brake Cleaner after running.

You can coat/paint the rails to keep the water out. I use a clear coat for that. I have seen the whole inside of it done before. I would be preference thing. Most are not.

Don's correct about what some of the brake cleaners will do to the glass resins. Fuel proof dope will not last around high nitro fuels. I always cleaned my monos with some 409 cleaner or some Simple Green. The cleaner you keep them the longer they will last.............

Dick Tyndall

regular fuel proof dope for rc airplanes should work well. choice of colors, too :D .
I thought they banned that stuff years ago. Probally my first buzz at age 10, guy in the hobby shop said take a break when your fingers start tingling. we said OK, didn't know any better. :blink: :blink: Take Z's advice, degreaser and rinse good. Danedamaged Ray :eek: :eek: :eek:

regular fuel proof dope for rc airplanes should work well. choice of colors, too :D .
I thought they banned that stuff years ago. Probally my first buzz at age 10, guy in the hobby shop said take a break when your fingers start tingling. we said OK, didn't know any better. :blink: :blink: Take Z's advice, degreaser and rinse good. Danedamaged Ray :eek: :eek: :eek:

That would explain why you liked putting the rubber bands in the TwinCraft- for the fuel tanks- LOL :lol:

How long should a properly taken clear of (cleaned) /well built glass hull last before the nitro takes over ? or if as long as its kept clean and the floatation is kept changed- last indefinitly - as far as material goes ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm building a Seaducer and was wondering if anybody coats the in side of the boat's floor for easier clean up? What would you use to not add much weight and smooth out the floor.
Alan

I picked up a trick from Terry Keeley on the monos and use PPG Concept clear on the inside of the hull and the rails. I mix it up and then brush on a coat. It really does keep the inside much nicer and very easy to clean.. Tony J

Thanks for all the input I use 409 in my boat but this ones for a friend I thought I'd ask. Just thought a smoother finish would look a little better and clean up faster.

Alan

Thanks for all the input I use 409 in my boat but this ones for a friend I thought I'd ask. Just thought a smoother finish would look a little better and clean up faster.
Alan

Hello Alan,

Every mono I build I coat the center section between the rails with clear epoxy.

This is really a preference issue, but it defiantly makes clean-up easy.

In my shop I only use west system epoxy resin. I feel the 105 resin along with the

207 hardener is best for this application. It’s not cheep, but will hold up to

any fuel you use. Always clean and prep before you seal the area.

Happy Boating, :)

Tom

Alan

Hello Alan,

Every mono I build I coat the center section between the rails with clear epoxy.

This is really a preference issue, but it defiantly makes clean-up easy.

In my shop I only use west system epoxy resin. I feel the 105 resin along with the

207 hardener is best for this application. It’s not cheep, but will hold up to

any fuel you use. Always clean and prep before you seal the area.

Happy Boating, :)

Tom
Tom is correct. Sand the inside with 220 grit & clean or blow out with compressed air. Cover it with West systems for a durable Non yellowing clear coat., Seaducer boats will not advise you to do this...... Also single application of Imron paint will work fine too.

thanx for sharing that, ray- that explains A LOT!!!!

Back