electric starters - what's the difference?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Elder

I see that some are designed as 12v units and some for either 12v or 24v. What other differences are there between units like, say a $40 Hobbico model vs a $100+ Sullivan?

Thanks.

Robert, I can't give all stats from one to the other but my $100 sullivan 12 or 24 volt will start my .67 on 12 volts and my $40 torkmaster will not
After a few years working to get good, light and powerfull starters:

I come with cordless Starter for belt start nitro and gas boat.

This is new version of wireless Starter with HONDA Starter motor.This motor better than ATV.

Basic configuration: 12V ATV Starter motor, handle, solenoid wired and battery monitor. $145.00.

This cost less than DYNATRON at 18 Volt starter, but more powerful.

You can use 12 V battery wired to Starter or get LIPO battery attached to back plate of starter.

Regular price with 3S LIPO battery and overnight charger - $195.00 ( shipped within USA)

A lot of boaters using this starter to start any size of nitro and gas motors. Chjeck please posts about cordless starter on IW and on Jim's R-C boat dock. Boris

Robert, I can't give all stats from one to the other but my $100 sullivan 12 or 24 volt will start my .67 on 12 volts and my $40 torkmaster will not
After a few years working to get good, light and powerfull starters:

I come with cordless Starter for belt start nitro and gas boat.

This is new version of wireless Starter with HONDA Starter motor.This motor better than ATV.

Basic configuration: 12V ATV Starter motor, handle, solenoid wired and battery monitor. $145.00.

This cost less than DYNATRON at 18 Volt starter, but more powerful.

You can use 12 V battery wired to Starter or get LIPO battery attached to back plate of starter.

Regular price with 3S LIPO battery and overnight charger - $195.00 ( shipped within USA)

A lot of boaters using this starter to start any size of nitro and gas motors. Chjeck please posts about cordless starter on IW and on Jim's R-C boat dock. Boris
Thanks. I have seen your posts and it does look like a great starter. I have both outboards as well as inboards so being able to change the direction of rotation as well as handle both a belt and an outboard cap are features that I need.

I have a fairly inexpensive starter that I plug into a power panel mounted in my field box. That is powered by a 12v sealed battery. I am mostly wondering about what difference a more expensive starter would mean in my setup.

The main difference is a power and weight. You can use Dynatron with side switch and handle switch at 24 V, but you have to get LIPO battery and solenoid - the regular heavy duty switch easy can be damaged with disconnection ark. And lead acid battery weights a ton! Boris

Back