Elec starter

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

What starters are being used now days. I'm afraid my Sullivan Hi Tork won't handle my new eng. It struggled with my old K%B 45.

What starters are being used now days. I'm afraid my Sullivan Hi Tork won't handle my new eng. It struggled with my old K%B 45.
same...i have a 24v dynawatever

or just loosen the plug and fire it....

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 24v starter, but i would think a 12v starter with a decent battery should be sufficient to start a 45 size motor, unless its loaded up....12v can start a 60 size motor, but 24v does make it easier.......if you have a Dynatron, id check to see what condition your battery is in....the one ive got has gotta be pushing 20 years old and still starts everything ive got! Im sure you would be able to rebuild it if needed...

I use 24v too, but it is odd that 12v is plenty to start my 400HP Ford 351W....

I use 24v too, but it is odd that 12v is plenty to start my 400HP Ford 351W....
12v also starts my 400Hp Chevy but not my hot rod 1.01's. :lol:

I ran a 12v Sullivan for the last 9 years on 24v with no issues like Tom said.

I have since upgraded to a 24v Sullivan just because I had the chance. Check your batts.

:)

B

An automobile battery has way more capacity to deliver amperage, therefore the starter on a big 8 cylinder engine can be wound(wire wrappings on armature) in such a way to deliver tremendous torque.

The standard starters like the Sullivan Hi-Tork have an armature that is wound in such a manner to be easy on the little 7 amp/hour hobby batteries that we typically use. Even if you use a high capacity automobile battery, the starter is still only going to "draw" or "pull" the same amperage that it always does at a given voltage, so the power will be the same unless the supply voltage changes.

However they tend to still be able to handle more voltage, but failure becomes more likely. But I have had great success using 24V on the standard inexpensive starters for years.

I just switched to 18V makita tool batteries and I am having no problems starting 80's 90's and 101's.

starters.JPG

Thanks everyone for the headsup. New starters are costly, so I'm going to up voltage on my hitork.

my dad made our own using the HVAC blower motor out of a Jeep. pressed a pulley onto the armature shaft and it's been solid for several years now.

Just F.Y.I.

It is important to know what is volt drop from battery to starter.

14 gauge wire at 60 A drop 1.5 V per 10 feet and 2.6 for 100A;

12 gauge wire at 60 A drop 1.0 V per 10 feet and 1.62 for 100A;

Pay attention! Boris

Just F.Y.I.

It is important to know what is volt drop from battery to starter.

14 gauge wire at 60 A drop 1.5 V per 10 feet and 2.6 for 100A;

12 gauge wire at 60 A drop 1.0 V per 10 feet and 1.62 for 100A;

Pay attention! Boris
This is a 18V wireless starter kit. Even in this short wire version I use 10 gauge wires. Boris

Wireless starter kit 1.jpg

Latest posts

Back