ECMC race

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to set the record straight with regards to the content noted in the above link and the announcement of the ECMC race being cancelled. As always being the case, there is more information and some that is left out for various reasons.

Back in January, the ECMC VP, last year's Pres and myself were commissioned by the President to meet and negotiate terms for this October's race. Terms were made and no issues were identified. Out of the blue, Randy met with the Shriners in August. They demanded that the Shriners reduce the parking fees or the racers would not come. This was based upon "complaints voiced at the Internats". I cannot validate them as I was not there but I heard none since last year and I was the race CD. Randy added that if they do not want to reduce the fees that ECMC would not be willing to hold the race. Given this ultimatum, the Shriners told them to forget the race as they will not change the fees. Three weeks ago, Randy and Karla again met with the Shriners and the same results were obtained. No race. The Shriners took the race off their schedule and another event is now booked for their facility.

Another event has also occurred. Due to the severe politics with ECMC and Karla, several members decided not to renew their club memberships as of 01 June. This left only Randy, Karla and a couple of other members as the only remaining ones. Not much to put on a major race. We have had enough of the politics and the ill treatment. A new club will be formed and called (at this moment) the Charleston Model Boaters (CMB). I met with the Shriners last Friday night and have reached tentative terms with them to host a new race next year at the Shriners facility date yet to be determined. It is also expected that the CMB will have exclusive use of the Shriners facility for all boat races. ECMC will not return there again. The Shriners board meeting for September is being held TOMORROW (noted as Karla as already being held) evening with the general membership meeting this Thursday. Last Wednesday in a phone call with Karla she stated that "we will not support the race, and we will not be here as we have more important things to do that weekend." I firmly believe they have known for some time that the race would not be held.

It is a great shame that politics again have leaped into our hobby. The ECMC was a premiere race in the southeast each year and is a shame that politics has taken it down. I thank each of you for supporting it by your attendance during the past 13 years. This split has been brewing for several years and was bound to happen and I am sorry that it occurred just before the race was to be held. But we did not issue the ultimatum. Randy and Karla did.

The CMB club will be based upon a group that want to meet to run and race boat for the enjoyment and fun with no politics involved. It is a hobby and should be fun. I hope that all will understand that position. And I hope that many will support the race next year put on by the CMB club. We will be starting from scratch but we will have fun doing it! Come join in the fun.

Respectfully submitted,

John Knight

John,

RIGHT ON THE MONEY. I hopefully can come down and have fun and race

with you guys next year. I think this hobby should be FUN when it is no longer

FUN many will go in a different direction.

Thanks, :)

Mark Sholund

John

This comes as no surprise to me !!!! Thats why they lost every flying field they have ever had !!!!

When I and past president Tom Howe ECMC {70's} started with just three members the " Eutawville Flyers " in 1981 at Rocks Pond Campgrounds we used the ECMC bylaws and adjusted them to eliminate the politics of the hobby.. and vowed to keep the ECMC members out of the club !!! because of the control freaks !!! We picked up 45 members from the lake areas with in one year..

This lasted for four years until Allen Wymer came up and joined , no problems!!! then the Quarter Scale crowed came in , that lasted two years and low and behold it started!!! The first thing to happen was the original members where butting heads with the Charleston crew they wanted everything to be like there old club, well we did this and that !!!! Now of the 45 original members, they started dropping out like flys me included , today there are only two original members left !!!

John what happens to the est. " $ 12,000.00 " in the kitty that Randy and Karla hoarded

and wouldn't use for improvments on the club ??? The club was a non-profit organization right !!???

From a reliable source.......... :ph34r:

Butch Jackson future member of CMB......... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

We would consider it to be an honor for you to race and have fun with us. A long trip for you but will be well worth it.

John

James

I guess the club discounts are history..... :lol: :lol: :(

Waterbug (Butch I think),

The club treasury is about 9.5K and I cannot tell you what will happen to it. Many of us have worked exceptionally hard, myself included, to increase the assets and reputation of the club. Since I have belonged to it for the past 7 years, we have gone from 3K to almost 10K. We feel that we should be entitled to a fair portion for our past efforts. They treat every penny as their own and always arranged the voting to allow only Karla or Randy (with Karla doing the work) to be the Treasurer during that time. But we realize that portion may not ever come about. We want to avoid going to court but that is an option to consider.

Where are you located at?

John

John

I would be glad to !!!!! I'm about 35 minutes away !!! I should have everthing ready by next spring .....

John let me know what the club dues are and even though I am in Florida I will be a CMB member just to help you all get your kitty started.

GO CMB!!!!

Ron Byrd

John, when district 13 was formed, it was with money withheld (stolen) from district 3. The races held in Savannah (R. Miller) and Charleston (Randy and Karla Dicks) were listed as district races. The money was never sent in for the district 3 points fund. What ever you all do, please don't let them keep all the money again!

We will help you any way we can. Stan and Cindy Sova

John-

Send me a membership form, I'll join to help the cause. Richmond area is close enough ain't it?? :p

Don,

Will be happy to when we get the form completed. Richmond is close enough. Frank Sechrest is joining as well. Many thanks for the support!!

John

I just talked to The Bull. I'll be emailing him the ODMBA bylaws and constitution for you guys to use as a guidline. Save youselves some time and just use as is. :lol:

I do believe it will be very possible for ODMBA to donate their visual time clock to the new club cause as well. But I will I need a club vote to finalize this.

It really seems outrageous for any club to have 10K in the bank.

If you need somebody to join so that you have 5 members for IMPBA registration, you can count me in.

Back